RedFoot Enclosure Update

Travis

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
Very nice enclosure for them! I'm jealous.

Also, Where are you located that you can do something like this?

theguy67

10 Year Member!
About 2 feet around the perimeter. The fence wire stops at the bottom boards, then there is another "fence" underground. They never show any interest in digging though. Only in loose substrate, and just enough to cover a few inches, rather than a burrow.

I'm in central Texas. We have very short freezing periods, and the tortoises are usually out by late March/Early April, and in by late October/early November. The past 2 years have been very wet, especially in May, so the redfoots have appreciated that....they are probably the only ones.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
The grass has gone out of control, and the creek is currently flooded as I have left the sprinklers on with it also raining. I think they like it this way. They are out all the time now, even during the hottest parts of the day. I'll probably chop down the grass, or at least most tomorrow for maintenance purposes. I may take some pics before I chop the forest down.

In the mean time,...enjoy.
swamp tortoise.jpg

cactus tortoise.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I am wanting to add some flowering shrubs that can be kept low to the ground (1-3 feet), but can't decide on what to choose. Ideally, something that can overwinter in Zone 8b, but I have taken a liking to hibiscus. I've thought about just sinking the pots into the ground, and pulling them up before the first freeze, but this adds complications to the overall project.
No need to sink and dig up pots if you get the hardy hibiscus or rose of Sharon. They do great in central TX. Btw where exactly are you? I could give you bunch of tort friendly perennial flowers if you're close enough to drive to Round Rock (north of Austin)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Here are some more from today. Next time I do an update, it will be fully landscaped (mulched, new plants, rocks, etc.).

View attachment 170065 View attachment 170066The above picture is showing the pond side. Everything is filling in nicely there too. I am letting that side remain more wild, and low to create a jungle for them.
View attachment 170067 View attachment 170068 View attachment 170069 View attachment 170070
Gorgeous! Caution with the Oleander just make sure it's out of reach of your torts. Very toxic to pets. I cut my 2 big bushes down in my tort garden just in case they are not too bright and don't know what's bad for them

Pearly

5 Year Member
Just finished reading this thread! Wow wow wow!!!! Love it!!!! Love your tort garden and thank you for this thread. I'm working on my RF garden now but have neither skills/tools nor money to make it as nice as yours. The water feature is fantastic!!!! I love the rocks and how you've positioned the plants. Looks very natural. All I can offer to my RF babies is a makeshift enclosure but decent space and tons of nice plants, bcs that's what I do know how do do! Garden in central Tx:) I still haven't decided about the water feature for mine. With my nonexistent building skills I'm not sure yet what I want to do to give them fresh moving water. We have horrible mosquito problem here, so that's another limitation ... Anyway, I love your thread, your enclosure is very inspirational. I hope you get all 6 eggs to hatch. And let me know if you want any tort friendly flowers/plants. I have tons. My garden is 20 yrs old and many plants need to be divided so I'd be happy to share

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Just finished reading this thread! Wow wow wow!!!! Love it!!!! Love your tort garden and thank you for this thread. I'm working on my RF garden now but have neither skills/tools nor money to make it as nice as yours. The water feature is fantastic!!!! I love the rocks and how you've positioned the plants. Looks very natural. All I can offer to my RF babies is a makeshift enclosure but decent space and tons of nice plants, bcs that's what I do know how do do! Garden in central Tx:) I still haven't decided about the water feature for mine. With my nonexistent building skills I'm not sure yet what I want to do to give them fresh moving water. We have horrible mosquito problem here, so that's another limitation ... Anyway, I love your thread, your enclosure is very inspirational. I hope you get all 6 eggs to hatch. And let me know if you want any tort friendly flowers/plants. I have tons. My garden is 20 yrs old and many plants need to be divided so I'd be happy to share

Thanks! I am located 30 miles east of Waco. I've looked into Rose of Sharon, but never pursued them heavily. I've always liked the larger flowers, which are often associated with tropical plants. I tried the tropical hibiscus, but the plants were to small so I removed them before they were torn to shreds. I'm going to try Rose of Sharon or other types of roses.
As for the Oleander, it has since been removed,..which is actually for the best, aside from the toxic nature. Its absence allowed the other plants to grow. I was going to replace it with a different plant, but that space as since been filled in by the Crape and Willow. It was actually one of my favorite plants too.

I actually don't have much experience in construction. A fence is pretty straight forward, and the water feature was "sorta" easier. Lots of moving rock and dirt. Just make sure you have a good liner, the edges are level, and that the water line is well below the edge of the liner. Leaks are no fun! Also, bring in dirt BEFORE you start planning the pond, as you will want variation in elevation. That is one thing I wish I had done, so there would be some drop offs in the stream, but now I am adding dirt afterwards, which is giving a different, "creek" look. I think the flowing water helps keep the mosquitoes down. If you did have an issue, fish might solve that issue.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Waco is about 1.5 drive from me. I'm east of I-35, so it may not be too bad. Most of the plants I have in over abundance I've already verified as tort friendly so you always have that option of making a trip down here for some perennial flowers that will do well in your tort garden and if your pets much on them no harm will be done.
As for hibiscus, garden centers sell the hardy hibiscus now. The flowers of some varieties are size of dinner plate. That should be big enough for ya:)
The freeze knocks them to the ground but they come back every year.
As for the water for my torts, I have sprinklers plus will probably install some misters. With my limitations I know I can never have a pond with mosquito eating fish and stuff... or the kind of feature that you have, but I'll figure out some way of providing my torts with some sort of wading pool.
The heat will not be an issue with the trees and all the plants I have there is plenty of shade. Anyway, I'll keep looking for ideas and will figure it out, just like I did the "close chamber" thing.
I liked what people on here had with Tom's specifications, but again... had limitations so all that had to be modified to my situation.
I just love looking at your pictures. Some day I'd like for my entire backyard to be such tortoise habitat, serene, esthetically pleasing, eco friendly place where me and my children love to spend time with our torts.
My current project is just one of the former flower beds. I'll be expanding slowly.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Waco is about 1.5 drive from me. I'm east of I-35, so it may not be too bad. Most of the plants I have in over abundance I've already verified as tort friendly so you always have that option of making a trip down here for some perennial flowers that will do well in your tort garden and if your pets much on them no harm will be done.
As for hibiscus, garden centers sell the hardy hibiscus now. The flowers of some varieties are size of dinner plate. That should be big enough for ya:)
The freeze knocks them to the ground but they come back every year.
As for the water for my torts, I have sprinklers plus will probably install some misters. With my limitations I know I can never have a pond with mosquito eating fish and stuff... or the kind of feature that you have, but I'll figure out some way of providing my torts with some sort of wading pool.
The heat will not be an issue with the trees and all the plants I have there is plenty of shade. Anyway, I'll keep looking for ideas and will figure it out, just like I did the "close chamber" thing.
I liked what people on here had with Tom's specifications, but again... had limitations so all that had to be modified to my situation.
I just love looking at your pictures. Some day I'd like for my entire backyard to be such tortoise habitat, serene, esthetically pleasing, eco friendly place where me and my children love to spend time with our torts.
My current project is just one of the former flower beds. I'll be expanding slowly.

Thats not too far, I'll have to think about it! Irrigation is always nice, even for non-tropical species. I have sprinklers on the top of the fence. They are set on a timer so it can be programmed to "rain" up to 4 times per day.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Really loving these photos! :) I have a Russian and he sure does like it dry, but a shallow run like yours would be just too cool in my outdoor garden! Maybe someday. Keep up the excellent work.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Really loving these photos! :) I have a Russian and he sure does like it dry, but a shallow run like yours would be just too cool in my outdoor garden! Maybe someday. Keep up the excellent work.

Thanks!

A stream like mine could work with any tortoise. My red foots primarily stay moist by the sprinkler, or burrow. I think it even looks nice when it is dry, compared to just a grassy field. It adds something to build around, rather than a blank canvas. Occasionally I shut off the water, when I don't have time to keep up with topping off or in the winter, and it dries up. However, when the tortoises are out, the pond always has water in it. You could make it like a dry creek, and flood it on occasion. Google "dry creeK',and you'll see all sorts of landscape designs.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thanks!

A stream like mine could work with any tortoise. My red foots primarily stay moist by the sprinkler, or burrow. I think it even looks nice when it is dry, compared to just a grassy field. It adds something to build around, rather than a blank canvas. Occasionally I shut off the water, when I don't have time to keep up with topping off or in the winter, and it dries up. However, when the tortoises are out, the pond always has water in it. You could make it like a dry creek, and flood it on occasion. Google "dry creeK',and you'll see all sorts of landscape designs.
I love it! :) Thanks for the tip -- a dry creek would definitely be the way I would go if I ever put one in.