RedFoot Enclosure Update

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Thank you everyone for the kind words. It has been a fun experience to watch it grow into something, and it still has a ways to go.

Are you referring to the cylinder in the middle? That houses the pump. I know, not the prettiest. I couldn't really have a skimmer style pump-box since the water level is not always stable, like in the dead of summer. I will probably make a pump box for it in the corner (by the willow) under the large piece of limestone.

I always enjoy questions if anyone is curious of how certain things were done.

rocks-jpg.144632

I'll give away the secret behind the rocks (not even sure if its a secret?). I spent maybe $50.00 on making the rocks and the fountain (minus the pump). I created a basic shape I wanted with dirt, clay, or trash (concrete rubble, broken pottery, etc.), Then I poured only Portland cement over the shape, not concrete , mixed to a mud consistency so it still holds firm, and doesn't run. The rest just requires a cement trial, and a history making mud pies as a kid. Once cured, I dyed the "stone" with iron sulfate fertilizer, and then placed wet coffee grounds to create darker patterns on the surface. They were all covered with a clear finish (non "shinny" kind) to preserve the dye. I looked into concrete dyes before this and realized how expensive they can be. There are other fertilizers and water soluble stains to be experimented with if you want other colors.

The only thing different with the fountain is that I used rabbit wire rolled into a cylinder for the frame.

The above picture provides some idea, although the rock on the right is rough. A better representation would be the one directly across the stream, or the flat stone in the previous picture. Its such a simple process, and they look decent in person. Everyone that has seen them has asked where I bought the rock from, it certainly fools people.
Can't believe I missed this. This is amazing. Have you used any filtration at all on your pumping system?

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Can't believe I missed this. This is amazing. Have you used any filtration at all on your pumping system?

Besides the natural biological filtration in the stream (via sand and gravel), and the plants, there is no other forms of filtration. I do have the wire cage around the pump, but that's only to protect the impeller. Every once in a while, I'll drain the pond and scoop the gunk out of the very bottom.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Besides the natural biological filtration in the stream (via sand and gravel), and the plants, there is no other forms of filtration. I do have the wire cage around the pump, but that's only to protect the impeller. Every once in a while, I'll drain the pond and scoop the gunk out of the very bottom.
I'm in the progress if building something similar, somewhat smaller and indoors. Buy similar.
The idea is to have water pumping round upto a water fall that cascades down a rock face into a basin(where they can bathe etc) then wier back into the pump area through a filter and back up to waterfall. The wier idea was hopefully so all floating poop goes over wier where I can scoop up with a net, And the pump(with filter) will take care of sinking particles.
My concern is this.(and I maybe over thinking here). What if for example one of my torts gets worms and the eggs from poop contaminate the water system. How do I filter the worm eggs out.
BTW Im also having a misting system. Both the misting system and top up for pond will come from a storage tank that's in the enclosure. Top up once a day. This ensures no cold water. Storage tank will automatically top up from mains via a bouy mechanism.
Your thoughts are more than welcome.
Very impressed with your outdoor enclosure.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A great job. Congratulations and lucky torts!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I'm in the progress if building something similar, somewhat smaller and indoors. Buy similar.
The idea is to have water pumping round upto a water fall that cascades down a rock face into a basin(where they can bathe etc) then wier back into the pump area through a filter and back up to waterfall. The wier idea was hopefully so all floating poop goes over wier where I can scoop up with a net, And the pump(with filter) will take care of sinking particles.
My concern is this.(and I maybe over thinking here). What if for example one of my torts gets worms and the eggs from poop contaminate the water system. How do I filter the worm eggs out.
BTW Im also having a misting system. Both the misting system and top up for pond will come from a storage tank that's in the enclosure. Top up once a day. This ensures no cold water. Storage tank will automatically top up from mains via a bouy mechanism.
Your thoughts are more than welcome.
Very impressed with your outdoor enclosure.

Well, If your tortoise had worms, I would also be worried about them spreading to other tortoises in or out of the water. Since tortoises may become curious of other feces or trample on them, they could contaminate that way too. The only thing I could suggest is if you DO find parasites, to empty the pond and let it dry out. Perhaps if the pond was big enough, you could add some small fish to consume unwanted creatures in the water. There's always additives you could use to kill parasites, but the pond would have to be immediately drained, left to dry, and perhaps refilled and drained several times (unless otherwise stated its safe for tortoises). Fish might be the best option. I haven't researched much into this subject. After my pond cycled, critters came on their own. During the warm months dragonfly larvae, snails, and beetles live in the water. Knowing at least 2 of the 3 listed are predators, I suppose they could be helping in keeping the unwanted out.

I also keep a reef aquarium (that's my other hobby). I do know that some people use UV sterilizers to keep parasites and bacteria to a minimum. Apparently it sterilizes the organisms so they can not reproduce. That might be worth looking into if you are worried. Since this will be indoors, there may be less probability. Especially if you quarantine new animals before they are added.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well, If your tortoise had worms, I would also be worried about them spreading to other tortoises in or out of the water. Since tortoises may become curious of other feces or trample on them, they could contaminate that way too. The only thing I could suggest is if you DO find parasites, to empty the pond and let it dry out. Perhaps if the pond was big enough, you could add some small fish to consume unwanted creatures in the water. There's always additives you could use to kill parasites, but the pond would have to be immediately drained, left to dry, and perhaps refilled and drained several times (unless otherwise stated its safe for tortoises). Fish might be the best option. I haven't researched much into this subject. After my pond cycled, critters came on their own. During the warm months dragonfly larvae, snails, and beetles live in the water. Knowing at least 2 of the 3 listed are predators, I suppose they could be helping in keeping the unwanted out.

I also keep a reef aquarium (that's my other hobby). I do know that some people use UV sterilizers to keep parasites and bacteria to a minimum. Apparently it sterilizes the organisms so they can not reproduce. That might be worth looking into if you are worried. Since this will be indoors, there may be less probability. Especially if you quarantine new animals before they are added.
Thank you. I'll start a thread when the time gets closer. I have no known infected torts. I was just trying to think of worst case scenario and assume one day parasites could infect the water. Thanks again.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Thank you. I'll start a thread when the time gets closer. I have no known infected torts. I was just trying to think of worst case scenario and assume one day parasites could infect the water. Thanks again.

Right, I was just stating it hypothetically. I'm not super involved in the tortoise community (online or otherwise), so I do not know how common parasites are, but I've never had experiences with them. Most cases I've heard about them is with wild caught animals. With this past spring/summer being very wet here, and the added sprinklers, the pond/stream wasn't the only source of water. There were puddles that would often hold water, and their burrows stayed wet/muddy, so I was just saying that the pond is only one of many things on the list that could contain parasites. BUT its always good to take preventative measures. But remember, parasites have to come from somewhere. Having it indoors might be an advantage, since you won't have unwanted visitors drinking from your water source, and bathing in it such as birds.

What kind of indoor setup are you planning? How big?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Right, I was just stating it hypothetically. I'm not super involved in the tortoise community (online or otherwise), so I do not know how common parasites are, but I've never had experiences with them. Most cases I've heard about them is with wild caught animals. With this past spring/summer being very wet here, and the added sprinklers, the pond/stream wasn't the only source of water. There were puddles that would often hold water, and their burrows stayed wet/muddy, so I was just saying that the pond is only one of many things on the list that could contain parasites. BUT its always good to take preventative measures. But remember, parasites have to come from somewhere. Having it indoors might be an advantage, since you won't have unwanted visitors drinking from your water source, and bathing in it such as birds.

What kind of indoor setup are you planning? How big?
The indoor area is about 300sq ft. The outdoor area will be about 2000sq ft.
When weather is permitted they will be able to come in and out at will.
Indoors I was torn between just have a basic concrete pond for them to bathe in. Or go all out and put plants and critters in there.
Because I will have a fresh water supply topping it up from time to time, will i still have to fully drain and clean sometimes. Or will I be able to rely on the filtering system, freshwater dilution, plants and critters to keep it fresh?
I'll defo do something like you have done outdoors too.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
The indoor area is about 300sq ft. The outdoor area will be about 2000sq ft.
When weather is permitted they will be able to come in and out at will.
Indoors I was torn between just have a basic concrete pond for them to bathe in. Or go all out and put plants and critters in there.
Because I will have a fresh water supply topping it up from time to time, will i still have to fully drain and clean sometimes. Or will I be able to rely on the filtering system, freshwater dilution, plants and critters to keep it fresh?
I'll defo do something like you have done outdoors too.

That's similar to my current set up. They have the outdoor area, as you can see in the pictures, about 800 sq ft, and an indoor area, about 200sq ft. The two are connected by an opening with concrete ramps, and a hinged door. I bring them in during the winter, and put them in tents, as the entire room is impossible to keep in the 80s. Not to mention keeping it humid as well. Now the room can drop into the 40s, and their cages stay in the desired range. Otherwise, you will be heating a huge volume of space that they will not even be using (above their heads).

Topping off only replaces evaporation, and what water is leaked, wicked, or splashed out.The only types of filtration you really need are biological and mechanical. You can use media, like activated carbon, to remove pollutants, but I find it easier just to pump water out and fill it back up. I'm more picky about filtration when it comes to my coral, but they are also far more sensitive. I don't even have mechanical filtration on my pond. The only reason I have to drain and clean the pond is because mud slowly builds up on the bottom. This may decompose on its own, but it gives me something to do. The truth is, I only clean the bottom out to make it look nicer, and reduce algae blooms. As you can see most of the outdoor pen was designed to look appealing, like a flower garden. Sure the tortoises benefit some, but I wanted it to serve a purpose for humans as well. On the indoor area, they had a concrete pond that I built, but I have since filled that in, as it took up too much space. All I use for water in the winter months is metal pans.

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That's similar to my current set up. They have the outdoor area, as you can see in the pictures, about 800 sq ft, and an indoor area, about 200sq ft. The two are connected by an opening with concrete ramps, and a hinged door. I bring them in during the winter, and put them in tents, as the entire room is impossible to keep in the 80s. Not to mention keeping it humid as well. Now the room can drop into the 40s, and their cages stay in the desired range. Otherwise, you will be heating a huge volume of space that they will not even be using (above their heads).

Topping off only replaces evaporation, and what water is leaked, wicked, or splashed out.The only types of filtration you really need are biological and mechanical. You can use media, like activated carbon, to remove pollutants, but I find it easier just to pump water out and fill it back up. I'm more picky about filtration when it comes to my coral, but they are also far more sensitive. I don't even have mechanical filtration on my pond. The only reason I have to drain and clean the pond is because mud slowly builds up on the bottom. This may decompose on its own, but it gives me something to do. The truth is, I only clean the bottom out to make it look nicer, and reduce algae blooms. As you can see most of the outdoor pen was designed to look appealing, like a flower garden. Sure the tortoises benefit some, but I wanted it to serve a purpose for humans as well. On the indoor area, they had a concrete pond that I built, but I have since filled that in, as it took up too much space. All I use for water in the winter months is metal pans.

Thanks. Made my mind up. I'll pump water through a pump and filter up to a small waterfall, back into the pond area and let it weir back in to pump tank. I'll add plant but no critters so I can drain and clean when necessary.
Originally I wasn't sure if I was going to have to have micro filters for parasites,(getting too complicated). Sounds like I will be ok doing what I first intended doing.
:D

AnimalLady

This is really something. It's like a torts paradise! Amazing job you did, really really nice!!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thank you. I can't wait for spring to get here. Its going to look a lot different this year with all the trees maturing.
Definitely hoping some of our baby trees really grow more this year too. So will you be using your awesome enclosure as a tortoise hotel? ;) This would be pretty awesome...

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Definitely hoping some of our baby trees really grow more this year too. So will you be using your awesome enclosure as a tortoise hotel? ;) This would be pretty awesome...
lol, if only. I may be expanding in a year or so, but hatchlings have been keeping me busy.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
lol, if only. I may be expanding in a year or so, but hatchlings have been keeping me busy.
Aww, feel free to share baby pictures anytime! Torts are some of the cutest baby animals!