RedFoot Enclosure Update

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Always great to see tortoises start utilizing the water we keep available for them. :)

Yes. Giving them a variety of objects to interact with also gives me a treat, as I get to see them behave as they might in their native habitat. Its always fun to sit out there and watch then roam around inspecting every corner, or roam up and down the stream looking for bugs. I've always had a slight fascination with water, which motivated the stream/pond. This is why I favor redfoots. Beside their calm(er), "social" personality, and vibrant colors, their tropical/subtropical environment provides an interesting area for landscaping. I put social in quotes, as they display a range of social behaviors, but I hesitate to call them social as we all know tortoises are solitary creatures.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Yes. Giving them a variety of objects to interact with also gives me a treat, as I get to see them behave as they might in their native habitat. Its always fun to sit out there and watch then roam around inspecting every corner, or roam up and down the stream looking for bugs. I've always had a slight fascination with water, which motivated the stream/pond. This is why I favor redfoots. Beside their calm(er), "social" personality, and vibrant colors, their tropical/subtropical environment provides an interesting area for landscaping. I put social in quotes, as they display a range of social behaviors, but I hesitate to call them social as we all know tortoises are solitary creatures.
That's very cool! I love reading the stories of why people love torts so much. :)

BradKellerDA

Ohio
My enclosure is going on it's 3rd year and would like to provide an update for those who are looking for ideas. I installed automated sprinklers a few days ago, so now have 4 rain showers programed daily during the summer.

pretortoise1-jpg.144477

The above pic was taken during it's first year. Not much going on, but they still were able to use it while I worked on it.
last-year-tortoise1-jpg.144483

Taken last year. The grass was finally filling out.

tortoise1-jpg.144479

This was taken this morning.
tortoise3-jpg.144480

Being in texas, it gets very hot and dry. Although redfoots are not burrowers, they definitely enjoy these 2 I put in, and their shells have improved as well.

Let me know what you think! I'll post some more pics later, and I'll try to get a herd shot when they are out feeding this evening.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Nice find.
Why are you hesitant to dig them up?
I'm not sure how long they have been there, and I don't want to disturb the incubation. I've never incubated tortoise eggs. I've tried with a few, but I believe they were 'duds' as they were found laying in the pen, unburried. That was last year. I've read that some females will ditch their first clutch as their body attempts to begin ovulation for the first time. I'm not sure how true this is, but from what I've witnessed, it makes sense. Last fall there were 4 hatchlings found in the pen, so 1 or 2 of the older females are successfully laying eggs, although its impossible to determine the hatch rate.

I do have an incubator, but just not sure I suppose. The temps have been upper 60s at night, and mid-upper 80s during the day with frequent showers.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm not sure how long they have been there, and I don't want to disturb the incubation. I've never incubated tortoise eggs. I've tried with a few, but I believe they were 'duds' as they were found laying in the pen, unburried. That was last year. I've read that some females will ditch their first clutch as their body attempts to begin ovulation for the first time. I'm not sure how true this is, but from what I've witnessed, it makes sense. Last fall there were 4 hatchlings found in the pen, so 1 or 2 of the older females are successfully laying eggs, although its impossible to determine the hatch rate.

I do have an incubator, but just not sure I suppose. The temps have been upper 60s at night, and mid-upper 80s during the day with frequent showers.
Ah, I see. Personally I would get your incubator set up and balanced out, then stick them in. The fact the rain has revealed them means they are not deep in the ground. Which means they are going to be effected a lot with weather temps.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Ah, I see. Personally I would get your incubator set up and balanced out, then stick them in. The fact the rain has revealed them means they are not deep in the ground. Which means they are going to be effected a lot with weather temps.

I will do that. I suppose I count those first few eggs as failures.

How do most people go about searching for nests btw?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Soooo....when I buy a house I think I'll fly you up here so you can design my tortoise oasis. You will be handsomely rewarded with tortoise snuggles.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Soooo....when I buy a house I think I'll fly you up here so you can design my tortoise oasis. You will be handsomely rewarded with tortoise snuggles.

Its always fun to spend other people's money lol.

I'm going to try some bamboo next to help fill in some spots.

Rue

Canada
Did you bury welded wire too? How deep?

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Did you bury welded wire too? How deep?

About 2 feet around the perimeter. The fence wire stops at the bottom boards, then there is another "fence" underground. They never show any interest in digging though. Only in loose substrate, and just enough to cover a few inches, rather than a burrow.