New tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Thanks. He has started eating again, just not with as much enthusiasm as he was. So I added another heat lamp because it's getting a little cooler now and I have discovered that neither of them like the spring mix at the moment. They both want the baby greens mix. Spoiled torts lol. I also tried yellow squash for the first time. It was a big hit.

Sara

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Neat enclosure. Keep a close watch as they get bigger. They will try to climb the walls & will be able to get a foot over the cute fence before too long.
Also, you mentioned that you have a compact bulb. Coil & compact UVB's have a history of causing eye problems as well as other health issues...such as lethargy & not eating. You might want to put a household bulb for heat and get a fluorescent fixture from Walmart or Home Depot for a ReptiSun bulb. The cheapest prices seem to be from Petmountain.com.
Good luck...cute babies
Patsy

Teiko's Mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southwest FL
Your enclosure looks great! Will you put anything else in it? How about substart on the upper level? I was thinking they may try and eat the fake plants..just a thought...

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Thanks for the replies. I have been using the compact UVB for over a year now with no problems to any of my tortoises or turtles. I never go over a 5.0 and the light is 12 inches above surface level. (He wasn't eating because it was a new enclosure, now he's back to himself) I know the fence will not hold when bigger-that's why I made sure to have wood left over. Trust me, the enclosure was very carefully planned. There is no substrate on the second floor because it's not needed. The floor wipes clean very easily if they pee or poo on it, and as stated before it is not a waxy type of laminate. It's roughened up. They have been in their new home for over a month now and are loving it. They have always had fake plants in their enclosures. At first they try it-but then figure out it's not edible. I also have a few spineless cactus plants in there now which are being knocked over daily to get to them lol. And both have been putting on the grams like crazy.

Sara

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
ditto on maybe putting railing on the ramp as well?? and also maybe making sure they cant climb over the ramp?

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
There is railing on the ramp...maybe it was put on after the picture :rolleyes: But yes, there is a solid rail along the ramp as well as steps inbetween the bigger steps.

Sara

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Florida
how much plywood did you end up using? i am planning a two story enclosure about the same as yours but dont have a clue as to how much materials i need to build it.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
The bottom story is 6x3x2 and the second floor is 3x3 (it's inserted into the original "box" so the wall one solid piece...does that make sense?) I used 3 sheets of plywood with extra pieces leftover to build an above tank basking area for my aquatics. The whole project with paint and accessories cost maybe 100-150 dollars. If you would like more pictures I can get them this weekend after I clean it lol.

Sara

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Florida
Macheteslaststep said:
The bottom story is 6x3x2 and the second floor is 3x3 (it's inserted into the original "box" so the wall one solid piece...does that make sense?) I used 3 sheets of plywood with extra pieces leftover to build an above tank basking area for my aquatics. The whole project with paint and accessories cost maybe 100-150 dollars. If you would like more pictures I can get them this weekend after I clean it lol.

Sara

More pictures would be amazing. I have never built anything before but my boyfriend and I are up for the challenge. Thanks so much for your help.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Sorry it took so long, things were crazy with halloween. Here's some more pics. I had just fed them so don't mind the mess :rolleyes: And yes, I know the christmas cactus is toxic but it was pretty. They both took a couple of bites and then left it alone.

Sara

049.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

skittles1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Very nice!!! I like the painted on plants too.
Janay

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Oh I just love what you have done. I bet those are 2 very spoiled Leos.

ARKelly

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Spoiled doesn't even cover it lol. I need to replace the basking light on top with an MVB I think...my little one has been basking up there more often. Oh well, gotta go shopping then :D

Sara

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Try for darker greens, like Spring Mix for the salad mix, and be carefull with the xmas cactus.. I dont know How toxic, but why take a chance?

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
"Why take the chance?"

Because while they're tortoises, they're not stupid. If they came across a christmas cactus in the wild and it didn't taste good to them because it's toxic-they stop eating it. Just because they're in captivity doesn't mean they will absolutely eat everything that you put with them IMHO. The cactus has been in there just about since I built the enclosure, it offers them shade...not food. Also, I feed my leopards a varied diet and that was baby greens day not spring mix day. They also get cactus, and succulents, and kale occasionally, and some fruits etc etc. I have had Tank for 4 years now from a fresh hatchling and he has not so much as sneezed once in his life. They know what they are doing, it is us that have to learn.

Sara

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
The toxicity doesn't matter now anyway, not only did they not like it-my black thumb showed itself again lol. I just killed a pot of basil in 3 days too :( I'm scared to try the Optunia Cactus now...Oh well. Maybe I will anyway. Is there anyone that would want to come over and teach me to grow things?? I'll pay in cookies!

Sara

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
If I was closer, I would take you up on that. How about a free tip instead? :)

I think you are probably taking TOO good of care of your cactus. Try watching the weather channel... Whenever it rains in Arizona, water your cactus. Otherwise, leave it alone :)

Kristina

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
You have to water it? Maybe that's where I went wrong. Oh well :rolleyes:

Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.