New tortoise friend!

Piers Cresswell

Location (City and/or State)
Cornwall UK
Hello everyone,

I'm Piers, I live in Cornwall near St Austell on the south coast of England. I am the proud new owner of Sancho who is a four month old Hermann tortoise.

Unfortunately Sancho is not my first hermann. He is the successor to Hector who was 1 old. Hector died suddenly within a few months of owning him of what appeared to be a respiratory infection. We had noticed a slight change in his behaviour but nothing very significant and the one evening he went downhill very suddenly and died during the night.

We had done lost of research prior to getting Hector so I feel his death was a mixture of bad luck and ignorance but it has meant I am taking even more precautions with Sancho.

Sancho is a grumpy little feller with a downturned mouth. I am trying to handle him as little as possible to keep him comfortable. We are bathing him daily. He lives in a tortoise table under a MVB which is on for 12 hours a day. The temperature under his light is between 25 - 30 C, the background temp can go down to 15 C at time's so I am looking to get another heater to keep this up. I feed him on a mixture of plantain (he doesn't care for this much), sows thistle, dandelion and cats ear. I am trying to increase my knowledge of wild weeds but am finding them tricky to identify. I sprinkle his food either with calcium powder or nutribal. He lives on a substrate of top soil. I weigh him weekly and think he is a bit overweight st the moment.

I am finding caring for a tortoise a mixture of joy and terror as I find his behaviour can change from day to day and I am not sure of the significance. He has periods where he will walk around all day trampling everything and turning his waterfowl into swamps (usually when we are home all day), and other days where he moves very little and doesn't touch his waterbowl. He is still eating regularly which has kept from taking him to the vet so far.

I thought I would sign up as I want to give Sancho the best I can. We know other people who have tortoises and seem to do everything wrong but they still survive!

Let me know if you have any questions about me or Sancho. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Here are some photos of the little fella and his home;

1452190170920-1278900116.jpg 1452190170920-1278900116.jpg 14521902433471356018446.jpg 20160104_164611.jpg 20160104_133359.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Piers, and welcome to the Forum!

It's an attractive habitat, but it looks a little dry. Here's a good paragraph or two about night time heat for your Hermann's tortoise:

Hermann's tortoises need a night time cool down or they will suffer later on in life (some sooner than others).

This "need to provide overnight heat" has been a very common misconception in Hermann's tortoise keeping that has surfaced a lot this past year. If the temperature in your house, where your indoor habitat is being kept, is not dropping below 65F consistently, then there is absolutely no need for nighttime heat.

Hermann's tortoises are not heat lovers and should never, ever be subjected to it constantly especially while babies. Should you insist on night time heat, then at least move the heat emitter further away from the animal so that it is less of a basking spot and more of a way to slightly warm the air around it.

(Paraphrased from notations made by HermanniChris)

And here's a link to a very good Hermann's tortoise care sheet:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Piers Cresswell

Cornwall UK
Hi Yvonne,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I have promptly gone and sprayed his substrate, he wasn't very appreciative as he was asleep in his hole under the pot at the time! I will make sure to make it rain fir him more regularly and after reading the post you linked will try and provide a more humid area in his habitat using some king of greenhouse technique.

Regarding night time temps that is reassuring to hear. Unfortunately 65F is just over 18C and my house can get down to 15 C at this time of year. I am concerned about ever being able to keep him outside as the summers here are terrible and the temps souk rarely be that high over night but I have a few months to prepare for this.

If you have any other sources of reliable information about hermann's especially around Sancho''s age (wold he be a juvenile?) that would be great!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Piers.

I think your temperatures need to be a little warmer over all. Basking area needs to be at least 35-36, and for a baby I'd keep the overnight low closer to 20.

Here are some other info sources:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

This one was typed for russians, but care is similar:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

yillt

Hello and welcome. It's mostly been said and we'll done on spraying the habitat. He does look very grumpy and even more CUTE. I live in England as well and although the temps aren't right for tortoises it's fun making them enclosures that fit our temperatures and humidity.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, he looks a real character!
Our summer last year was appalling! My leopard tort had very little time outside
An important thing to remember is
too cold +humidity = sick tort
right temps + humidity = healthy tort
Good luck with him but you will get great advice from many experienced keepers here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. You got all the great info you will need to care for your tort. Remember, the ones doing it wrong my have torts that are surviving, but the goal is surviving and thriving. Yours will do that with correct care.
Sorry about the one you lost. Sometimes the deaths go way back to the way they were cared for before we even get them.

Piers Cresswell

Cornwall UK
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :)

I'm looking forward to exploring the forums and getting to know you all ( ando you getting to know Sancho and I) better!