New Tortoise

KaTheya

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I just recently got a tortoise that I purchased from PetSmart. I can tell the employees knew close to nothing about my tortoise. It was labeled as a testudo tortoise instead of actually saying what tortoise it is. So I was wondering if anyone could give me answers on what exactly my tortoise is so I can provide the proper enviornment for him(just assuming its male, but not really sure if it is).
At the moment I have his basking spot at around 80-85F and his humidity at around 30-40%.
If needed I can provide more pictures.20160224_132859.jpg
20160224_165512.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. What you have there is a Russian tortoise. The basking spot should be around 95 or so and the humidity around 50%. Check out the care sheet in the Russian tortoise section.

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
TX
I purchased mine last Sunday and it also said testudo on the tag. Also wanted to mention that the vets at my local Banfield (in petsmart) do not take in reptiles. Makes me wonder how they take care the reptiles...:(

KaTheya

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Well by reading this forum he was horribly taken of. His tank was extremely small the person said they mostly fed him kale and his temps were bad

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
He looks like a russian tortoise. Usually petsmart only sells these types of tortoise

KaTheya

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
@Linhdan Nguyen Thank you for your input, I don't understand how pet stores can get away with treating animals like that, let alone not knowing what kind they are.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
@Linhdan Nguyen Thank you for your input, I don't understand how pet stores can get away with treating animals like that, let alone not knowing what kind they are.

Im not sure either. There are russian tortoises that are being sold at petsmart near my place now & the enclosure is so small & the tortoises are always in their shells. I feel bad but I already have a sick tortoise that im paying vet bills for. I cant afford another right now

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Here in Florida, Petsmart always has too many Russians for sale and not in very good shape.
The tortoises well being isn't Petsmarts number one priority. It's profit. And these tortoises sell.
We have a list of good tortoise vets here by state. What is your location?

SoCal
I purchased mine last Sunday and it also said testudo on the tag. Also wanted to mention that the vets at my local Banfield (in petsmart) do not take in reptiles. Makes me wonder how they take care the reptiles...:(

They don't take care of their reptiles, I've never heard a happy story about people purchasing reptiles from Petsmart. They lack a sense of responsibility at Petsmart. If you ever plan on expanding your herd, be patient and buy from a local breeder and get yourself a Captive Bred tortoise, you won't be sorry. Reptile Shows can be a good place to buy new torts, they have a lot of reputable breeders trying to provide captive bred animals.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

A cute little Russian tort. GOD bless.:)

bryson white

5 Year Member
Southern California
I just recently got a tortoise that I purchased from PetSmart. I can tell the employees knew close to nothing about my tortoise. It was labeled as a testudo tortoise instead of actually saying what tortoise it is. So I was wondering if anyone could give me answers on what exactly my tortoise is so I can provide the proper enviornment for him(just assuming its male, but not really sure if it is).
At the moment I have his basking spot at around 80-85F and his humidity at around 30-40%.
If needed I can provide more pictures.View attachment 166328
View attachment 166326
Thats a Russian tortoise petsmart buys there tortoises mostly from the wild and they are filled with parasites so a vet visit by a herp vet will do the tortoise some good

KaTheya

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
if he/she is not eating,worms in there poop,rubbing the eye,infected eye,bubbles out the nose, and wheezing or very loud breathing
My tortoise just drank some water and afterwards started making heavy breaths and gurgling type noises. Is this what you mean? Im very nervous now.

bryson white

5 Year Member
Southern California
no i think he/she will be fine if it was right after drinking water if so he will be fine but if it was hours after drinking the water you need vet visit asap