Newbie tort owner help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3rdchik

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Help! My new tort arrives monday! He is a heavily pyramided 8" leopard tort on fauna classifieds that touched my heart.

I confess I have been reading up on redfoot care - not intending to get a desert species. Temporary habitat supplies have been ordered and delivery arranged. For now, he's getting a horse feed bin (50"x30") indoor and a 7' circle outdoor enclosures. I know those are too small, but until I can tort-proof my yard, and basement room, it will have to do.

I guess my questions are:

1) still daily soaks?
2) should it still be a high humidity environment?
3) can I put him outside in 70-75 degree weather.
4) should I take him to the vet immediately? Or should I observe him for a week or so?

Will post enclosure pics this weekend.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but high humidity isn't necessary for an adult. Plus, most of the talk of humidity has been aimed at reducing pyramiding, which your new tortoise already has.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
In this case I think high humidity is probably good, because one of the main causes of pyramiding is dehydration. Definitely daily soaks for a while. High humidity isn't necessarily needed for an Adult, but it probably wouldn't hurt in this case. Then again, I only know what I have read on this forum.

n3rdchik

5 Year Member
Michigan
Bumping up this thread - What should the air temp be before he goes outside?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
My rule is at least 70 for my tortoise to go outside. However, if its windy he isn't out outside, and if its too shady I usually wait for it to warm up a few more degrees.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If the sun is out and your outdoor enclosure has a sheltered spot in direct sun for basking, then your tort can go out even if the ambient temperature is less than 70F. Use a temp gun on that hot spot and you will find that basking spot temperature is MUCH hotter and that is what is important... the ability of your tort to charge it's batteries in a basking spot.

Here in the UK we would never get our torts (mostly Testudo over here) outside if we waited for 70F ambient!

Above 10C (50F) with full sunshine is my rule of thumb. If the sun isn't out, then I have a heat lamp in a dog kennel outdoors for Joe to use for basking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I had a suitable indoor habitat, I wouldn't take a leopard out unless it was sunny and 70+. They are not going to drop dead if the temp is only 69.5, but I feel better with warmer air temps.

For a Mediterranean species, I'd put them out if it was sunny, 55+ and warming.

n3rdchik said:
Help! My new tort arrives monday! He is a heavily pyramided 8" leopard tort on fauna classifieds that touched my heart.

I confess I have been reading up on redfoot care - not intending to get a desert species. Temporary habitat supplies have been ordered and delivery arranged. For now, he's getting a horse feed bin (50"x30") indoor and a 7' circle outdoor enclosures. I know those are too small, but until I can tort-proof my yard, and basement room, it will have to do.

1) still daily soaks?
4) should I take him to the vet immediately? Or should I observe him for a week or so?

Before your questions, I think it is a mistake to think of your leopard as a "desert" species. They are not.

1. I'd soak daily for a week or two, to insure good hydration, but its not necessary to do it that often for an 8" leopard. How often would depend on how hot and humid his environment is. If he lived outdoors in Phoenix, I'd soak twice a week in summer. If he lives in FL I might go twice a month.
2. Probably won't help much, but as long as you keep temps up, it won't hurt either.
3. Yes, as long as its sunny and he has a a spot to go warm up.
4. This is your choice. It wouldn't hurt to introduce yourself and your tortoise to a competent reptile vet, so you have some sort of pre-existing relationship should anything ever go wrong, but I don't find it necessary to take torts to the vet if nothing is wrong. Your choice.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tom said:
If I had a suitable indoor habitat, I wouldn't take a leopard out unless it was sunny and 70+. They are not going to drop dead if the temp is only 69.5, but I feel better with warmer air temps.

For a Mediterranean species, I'd put them out if it was sunny, 55+ and warming.

n3rdchik said:

1) still daily soaks?

Before your questions, I think it is a mistake to think of your leopard as a "desert" species. They are not.

1. I'd soak daily for a week or two, to insure good hydration, but its not necessary to do it that often for an 8" leopard. How often would depend on how hot and humid his environment is. If he lived outdoors in Phoenix, I'd soak twice a week in summer. If he lives in FL I might go twice a month.
2. Probably won't help much, but as long as you keep temps up, it won't hurt either.
3. Yes, as long as its sunny and he has a a spot to go warm up.
4. This is your choice. It wouldn't hurt to introduce yourself and your tortoise to a competent reptile vet, so you have some sort of pre-existing relationship should anything ever go wrong, but I don't find it necessary to take torts to the vet if nothing is wrong. Your choice.

And do what Tom says :)

Status
Not open for further replies.