Newbie Trying to Catch Up

akbecker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Thornton, CO
I'm new to tortoises, and got a little in over my head, and am quickly back-peddling to do it right.

I have 4 tortoises, and will soon have 4 separate enclosures for each one. I have one male Russian, one female Russian, one Female Greek, and one unknown Leopard.

The Leopard is a juvenile and in an enclosed indoor enclosure - similar to ones posed in this forum by Tom. "Her" name is Cheetah, but I'm not sure she is a she. However, I'm still trying to understand how long she needs to be in the enclosed enclosure. She's just under 4 inches. From what I've read, it sounds like she is ok to go to an outdoor enclosure during the summer, and either use a warming night hide or take her inside. Until I get the night hide built, I'll probably bring her in. Plus, I'm in Colorado - so we have very bi-polar weather, so it will be easier during this transition from Spring to Summer to bring her in and out until temperatures stabilize more. The outdoor enclosure is awesome - I'll get pictures posted. Its 84 sq ft, covered with secure wire and locks. Lots of plants, I use the grazing tortoise mix from CarolinePetSupply.com to plant up the area. Then I'm going to add some squash seeds, hibiscus, and Johnny jump-ups. My neighbors look at me like I'm crazy because I get excited with all the dandelions growing in our rock areas of our yards because I dig them up and re-plant them in the enclosure (we don't treat them with weed killer since I do this).

The others each have 36 sq ft enclosures (although I'm in the process of still building one of them) and each have the Russian grazing mix from the same store, and those are coming up nicely, plus I have a forsythia in one of the enclosures, more hibiscus, Johnny jump-ups, dandelions, and squash. All three are adults - the Greek was supposed to be a Russian, but she was my first and I didn't realize Petsmart labeled her wrong - oops! The other two are adoptees from a local reptile humane society. All are great, we did refrigerated hibernation this last winter and the Greek did the best. I need to tweak my system this coming winter for the other two so they do better. Then everyone has indoor enclosures, but I need to expand the Russians/Greek's so they each have larger, separate enclosures. The Russians are Olga and Vladimir and the Greek is Bornasha (because we were sure she was a she when we got her, so Natasha, but then at her check-up the vet said it was he, so we thought Boris; so now it's Bornasha - but maybe we should scrap it all together and go with a neutral Greek name, any ideas??)

Any ideas of a good vine plant, hopefully with flowers, to grow outdoors? Other than bindweed?

Glad to be here!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A belated "welcome" to the forum!

Grape vine is always good. My tortoises love it.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.

Looks like you catch-up rather quick. And you been busy and looks like will be continue to be busy for some time. Good to have you here.

Please do show us when you complete those enclosures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love grapevines too. I've got a bunch of them. The leaves are great tortoise food.

For your leopard: I used to think that once they hit a certain size, they were fine outside in a dry climate. I was wrong. Or at least I don't know what that size is yet... Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. So when your tortoise is all done growing (or mostly done), then humidity won't matter much. Until that time at least some humidity is of benefit. A four inch tortoise does not necessarily need the high humidity and hydration given to a hatchling, but to go from a humid indoor enclosure to an outdoor enclosure in a dry climate full time, will likely cause a problem. What I would suggest is to put the tortoise into the outside enclosure on nice weather days, and bring it in to sleep at night in its more humid chamber. A dry outdoor box with electric heat in it, in a dry climate is just not good for them. Even older bigger ones need at least some moderate humidity. I provide this by adding water tubs inside their heated night boxes. So far it seems to be working well for me and my tortoises.

akbecker

5 Year Member
Thornton, CO
I love grapevines too. I've got a bunch of them. The leaves are great tortoise food.

For your leopard: I used to think that once they hit a certain size, they were fine outside in a dry climate. I was wrong. Or at least I don't know what that size is yet... Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. So when your tortoise is all done growing (or mostly done), then humidity won't matter much. Until that time at least some humidity is of benefit. A four inch tortoise does not necessarily need the high humidity and hydration given to a hatchling, but to go from a humid indoor enclosure to an outdoor enclosure in a dry climate full time, will likely cause a problem. What I would suggest is to put the tortoise into the outside enclosure on nice weather days, and bring it in to sleep at night in its more humid chamber. A dry outdoor box with electric heat in it, in a dry climate is just not good for them. Even older bigger ones need at least some moderate humidity. I provide this by adding water tubs inside their heated night boxes. So far it seems to be working well for me and my tortoises.

Moving her in and out is fine, I need to do the same with the Russians until the evening temperatures are warmer. My question is - I leave early in the morning for work, when its still in the mid-50s, like around 7 in the morning. But I know the days are going to be gorgeous and get up to the mid-80s for the next 2 or 3 weeks. Do you think its too cold to put the torts outside that early in the morning after being inside where its warmer all night?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't put a leopard outside in mid 50 temps. Mine that live outside don't come out of their boxes until its later in the day and warmer. You run the risk of inducing a respiratory infection at those temps.

Russians, in the scenario you've given, should be totally fine at those temps.