Lynnybee

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hello, I am new to the group, have a couple of questions, I have just rescued a Marginated Tortie from a hoarder, apparently my little man has never hibernated, and kept in A vivarium his entire life, which he became much too big for, luckily a friend was a visitor to the house and persuaded the owner to rehome him, which is where I come in, he I have named him Monty ! For the first time in I don’t know how many years he was walking all around my conservatory and kitchen this evening, I have put him in a strong box, nice and cosy, but he seems to have dug himself in, could he be hibernating for the first time, I am going to keep an eye on him, my question is does he need to hibernate, or shall I just let him walk around, I am keeping him indoors for now, as he has always been so.
sorry for long post.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, I would not hibernate him. Likely not healthy enough for it and you haven't had him long enough to know if there are any health issues.
Keep him in his own proper enclosure and keep the temps warmer at night then normal. I don't know this species so read the caresheet to get correct temps.

Lynnybee

Essex
No, I would not hibernate him. Likely not healthy enough for it and you haven't had him long enough to know if there are any health issues.
Keep him in his own proper enclosure and keep the temps warmer at night then normal. I don't know this species so read the caresheet to get correct temps.
Thank you, yes that’s what I have done, it’s been years since I had tortoises, but I had to get him out of the situation, i have read up on his breed, and I trust my gut, the lady who brought him here to me said she knew some of the situation, (there are many more animals still there) it would appear he was just left in the viv, she witnessed him banging on the glass desperately trying to get out, after he had finished his touring of my home I thought it best to let him settle and sleep, which is what I have done, poor baby he has never been outside, never felt the sun on his back or grass under his feet.
thank you for taking the time to reply.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome!

Just in case you have not yet found this great care guide…

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thank you, yes that’s what I have done, it’s been years since I had tortoises, but I had to get him out of the situation, i have read up on his breed, and I trust my gut, the lady who brought him here to me said she knew some of the situation, (there are many more animals still there) it would appear he was just left in the viv, she witnessed him banging on the glass desperately trying to get out, after he had finished his touring of my home I thought it best to let him settle and sleep, which is what I have done, poor baby he has never been outside, never felt the sun on his back or grass under his feet.
thank you for taking the time to reply.
That makes me so sad. Welcome to the forum. Thank you for rescuing him.

Lynnybee

Essex
Welcome!

Just in case you have not yet found this great care guide…

Yes I have thank you very much