Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Dimas, CA
Name is Reyy, My son brought me 2 african sulcatas about 3 months ago. They were about the size of a hot wheel. they are growing rapidly.
i guess my pics are to big to post here.

Attachments

• 138.jpg
    138.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 49

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Reyy:

Welcome to the forum!!

Boy, oh, boy! (rubs her hands together with glee) You have a lot to learn, and we're ready and willing to help!!!

Please take a look at this thread:

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

and try to follow his guidelines. Your babies will thank you for it.

I see you have them on pellets for substrate. It would be much better if you would change that out and use either cypress mulch or coconut coir...even dirt from outside is better than the pellets.

Where are you located? Appx. is fine.

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
San Dimas, CA
San dimas, Calif.
Turtles have grown rapily. Have 4 now , 2 ca desert tortouses. one hatchling and one adult. Cant seem to post pics here. the baby isnt doing so well.

183.jpg
just picked up a few weeks ago, on the way home. The adult spent the trip on the floor at the front seat.

181.jpg

the male adult resting behind the vette.

175.jpg

The little one hanging with the rapidly growing africans,

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
Welcome to the forum =)
spiderrey, its not good to have them over the pellets
You have to take the pellets out of there and put some dirt or cypress mulch!
Just leave some pellets in a corner side, or maybe over a little food dish.
Your baby desert tortoise must be not that active because its time for hibernation right now...
Are you keeping them under a warm enough place? because if you are not keeping it warm, it will be slow, or not active at all.
The big one will also start looking for a little hiding place, and it will start getting asleep soon...
Before it goes to hibernate, soak it for about 15 minutes in luke warm water so It gets hidrate and start hibernation.
Make sure it is in a safe place, away from possible predators, somewhere where she wont be disturbed.

Also... where did you get them?????
also ... so you just know they are tortoises, not turtles :p
Turtles spend some of the time of their lifes near, or in water.
Tortoises, are 100% land :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group!

Yvonne posted a great link for Sulcatas (the care will be pretty similar for the desert torts). You need separate enclosures for different species as they can get each other sick. Four torts including one adult and a possibly sick hatchling is a lot to deal with--wow! Do you want to give a rundown on your concerns if any for each? Yes, first priority is heat/temperature. Then enclosure & substrate & hides & UVB. Then diet. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Reyy:

At the beginning of your first picture you typed "San Dimas, CA" Does that mean that you are from San Dimas?

Since you've admitted that you're new to tortoise-keeping, I hope you'll take what I have to say to heart. I'm not picking on you, just trying to help you give your tortoises the best home possible.

1. Never mix species. Tortoises that have lived for eons on other continents have become accustomed to the little micro-organisms that they have growing inside them. They have a sort of symbiotic relationship and the tortoise doesn't get sick from having them live inside them. But a tortoise species from a different continent, has its own set of organisms and hasn't had eons to get used to the other tortoise's organisms. So mixing species may cause one or the other or even both different tortoises to become sick and maybe die.

2. Keep baby tortoises warm. They are small and dehydrate and cool off quickly. Soak them every day and keep them warm.

3. Don't use any kind of pellets as a substrate. You need some sort of substrate that you can moisten. A moist substrate helps keep them hydrated (along with soaking) and helps them grow smoothly.

Please take the time to go through our different forums and learn all you can about how to care for your new charges. Its a lot easier to keep a baby healthy than it is to get him back to health once he goes downhill

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Welcome to the forum.

Ask lots of questions, there is years of experience here to help you get on the right path.

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
San Dimas, CA
Simple, i hydrated the baby and he became active. Moved the two africans to a larger home. they seemed to confined in thier tank. Put them out back for some sun today and found the adult tortoise out for some also. kind of surprised to see him out. thought he was done for the winter. Since he was out i soaked him fot 15 minutes and he drank a bit. When removed from the water he went back to his box. And yes i know they are not turtles, just a slip of the tongue. Trying to find out where to get the stuff to replace the pellets now.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
spiderreyy said:
Simple, i hydrated the baby and he became active. Moved the two africans to a larger home. they seemed to confined in thier tank. Put them out back for some sun today and found the adult tortoise out for some also. kind of surprised to see him out. thought he was done for the winter. Since he was out i soaked him fot 15 minutes and he drank a bit. When removed from the water he went back to his box. And yes i know they are not turtles, just a slip of the tongue. Trying to find out where to get the stuff to replace the pellets now.

Do you have a petco or petsmart near you they have cypress mulch

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
San Dimas, CA
Yes I do, 2 blocks away. i swing by there later today. What exacyly makets the pellets bad, just wondering.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides what Laura said, the pellets mold when they get wet and tortoises, even babies pee a lot. Pellets are hard for babies to walk on and MIGHT cause leg problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.