Newbie. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! My name is alyssa and I'm from Northern California. I am planning on buying my first tortoise very soon. I live in a small apartment complex (only four units) but we share a very large yard. I just asked all our neighbors and landlord if they would be ok with us building a decent sized tortoise habitat in the yard and they are all thrilled! Right now I am in the process of designing this outdoor habitat, so if you have recommendations, I'm all ears. We hope to be able to get a russian tortoise very soon!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Be sure to build tall sides, a bottom and top. Russians are great escape artist.

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Thanks! How far can the dig? I was planning on building a fence the would go down about eight inches into the ground, and would be about 18 in above the ground. Is this sufficient?

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Welcome! Don't forget to cap corners! Do you need a cover to protect from preditors? I'm not sure what you have in N. California but be aware of raccons, foxes, hawks, skunks and of course DOGS!

Sorry, can't spell today.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello Alyssa and Welcome to TFO!!! We'd love to see pics as soon as you have the enclosure set up :)

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Ivstorts, thanks for the advice. I live in a residential neighborhood in the city. The only predator I am worried about is cats... I may need to make a covering for the enclosure. Thanks! I will hopefully post pics soon!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Good job doing your homework before you got the russian! You've come to the right place.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Welcome to the perfect place to go to when planning for your little Russian. That is so cool that your landlord is thrilled. What a great community pet that everyone can watch, maybe help feed and just sit and relax by watching. Once you have the safety stuff handled, you can make his habitat garden an apartment complex showcase. Fun-ness. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.