Newest SA Additions

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Lovely! I'm interested in watching them grow.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I'm fighting the temptation to get more hatchlings this year lol. Congrats brother they look awesome. I'm certain it's 4 females and 2 males that you have :p lol

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
I'm fighting the temptation to get more hatchlings this year lol.
No please don't get any more... my secret goal in life was to catch up to you;)

I'm certain it's 4 females and 2 males that you have :p lol
I applaud your confidence level and look forward to lots of beautiful hatchlings in about a decade!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
No please don't get any more... my secret goal in life was to catch up to you;)

I applaud your confidence level and look forward to lots of beautiful hatchlings in about a decade!

Lol you are definitely catching up. I need to do an update soon on my group soon. I've been so busy lately with work and the house building. I'll try to get an update in this week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They look great! So how many does this make for you? I'm looking to increase my SA herd, but not by buying them. I'll be putting a male with the females next summer and should start getting eggs in fall or winter of 2016. I can promise you that I won't want to sell any of them...

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
They look great! So how many does this make for you? I'm looking to increase my SA herd, but not by buying them. I'll be putting a male with the females next summer and should start getting eggs in fall or winter of 2016. I can promise you that I won't want to sell any of them...
I have 4 SAs from the August 2014 hatch and 2 'normal' leos that hatched that summer as well. One of the normal leos is female and very blond so I plan on keeping her for a while and the other 'looks' to possibly be female also so I may hold on to 'her' for a little while longer too.

As for the 4 one year old SAs, I still can't get an accurate read on their sex. So that is 12 leos total as of now... 10 are SAs. I hope to have at least a few females out of the group.

If I remember right, you got your SAs in 2010 as hatchlings correct? PLEASE keep us all posted on the developments. And thank you for stating that you will not sell any of your hatchlings... my wife would kill me if I got any more ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. Mine are from the 2010 group. My SA leopards started mounting and flashing at one and a half years old, so I don't think you will have long to wait to figure out the sexes. I had to separate them all out soon after that, so be prepared for that fun little endeavor. I went from one enclosure with a bunch of small leopards to 9 enclosures spread out all over the place in the space of a few months. I sold off a bunch of the excess males and now I am down to just 3 males, and they all still have to live alone. These males are VERY aggressive, combative and territorial. Even more than a lot of those Testudo males that you hear about and see sometimes. If I stand still in my male enclosures, they will come over and start ramming me. I have to run when I'm trying to rinse and refill their waters. They chase after me and ram me while I'm crouched down refilling the tubs with the hose. They are about 16" now and they are surprisingly powerful rammers for their size. The females are all very agreeable. They follow me for food, but mostly just go about their business. They all get along well and never fuss or fight.

They are just such a fantastic tortoise in every way. So easy to feed and care for. Mine are all eating plain dry grass hay now, in addition to everything else I feed them. Super personable. Pretty. Big, but not too big.

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
Yes. Mine are from the 2010 group. My SA leopards started mounting and flashing at one and a half years old, so I don't think you will have long to wait to figure out the sexes. I had to separate them all out soon after that, so be prepared for that fun little endeavor. I went from one enclosure with a bunch of small leopards to 9 enclosures spread out all over the place in the space of a few months. I sold off a bunch of the excess males and now I am down to just 3 males, and they all still have to live alone. These males are VERY aggressive, combative and territorial. Even more than a lot of those Testudo males that you hear about and see sometimes. If I stand still in my male enclosures, they will come over and start ramming me. I have to run when I'm trying to rinse and refill their waters. They chase after me and ram me while I'm crouched down refilling the tubs with the hose. They are about 16" now and they are surprisingly powerful rammers for their size. The females are all very agreeable. They follow me for food, but mostly just go about their business. They all get along well and never fuss or fight.

They are just such a fantastic tortoise in every way. So easy to feed and care for. Mine are all eating plain dry grass hay now, in addition to everything else I feed them. Super personable. Pretty. Big, but not too big.

Thanks for letting me know what I'm in for with these guys.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
They look good. I had to send mine to another house for the winter to make room for some new arrivals, but I'm hoping to get them established here next summer.