Night Temperatures

Dave Guderian

5 Year Member
Hi All-

I have 2 Eastern Hermann's and live in a cold weather climate. My question is at what temperature do you all bring your tortoises inside? I typically bring mine in if the night time temps dip into the lower 60's, but I didnt know if thats too cold so wanted to get input from the group.

Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Your Hermann's are very young. I would continue to pull them in until they are a lot bigger and more resilient

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Hermann's, especially Eastern Hermann's are adapted to withstand very cold temperatures at night and can easily do so outdoors as long as they have adequate shelter. In fact they should experience a 15-20 degree temperature differential from day to night to stimulate normal activity patterns. This is true of all northern Mediterranean species and Russian tortoises. Temperatures consistently below 55 degrees with a reduced photoperiod will trigger them to begin to hibernate. But as long as daytime temperatures are normally in the mid 60's and above and there is at least 13 or more hours of daylight (not necessarily sunlight, just daylight) they are evolved to easily endure night time temperatures as low as 50 degrees and occasionally lower. As long as they are healthy, active during the day and have adequate night time shelter they will do very well, act much more natural, be stronger and actually thrive in this type of environment.