Nighttime Indoor Enclosure

Tortoise Man

Hi. I have 2 tortoises that live in a wonderful outdoor enclosure. They love it, but I know it is dangerous for them to be outside all night. Even though I have a netting over the whole enclosure, stray cats and things may still be able to reach them. They are both about a year old. I will send pics. But what I really want to know is what do I need to have and what do I need to do to take the tortoises inside at night. Do I need a nighttime heat lamp and a bin? Do I need to setup a complete indoor enclosure just for nighttime? Thanks for everyone's help! I will send pics:):tort:;)

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I'm sorry I can't help much as I am also wondering the same thing.

Are those a leopard and a sulcata? If so, I don't think that they should be mixed.

Beautiful torts by the way!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is what you need to do:
1. Babies should not be outside all day. Its not good for them and it makes them grow very slowly and pyramid, which is exactly what yours is doing. Just an hour or so is best, and soak them on the way in.
2. Species should never be mixed, especially not a sulcata and leopard. Major behavioral incompatibility there.
3. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs. It is not good for them.
4. They each need their own separate outdoor enclosures for outside time.
5. Given 1, 2, 3 and 4, you need to make two large indoor closed chambers and get these babies back on track to growing up into healthy adults. You need all the proper lighting and heating elements, thermostats and timers. Stopping pyramiding in progress is a lot harder than preventing it in the first place.

These should help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, it is awesome that you are offering grass for them to eat, but I fear that that grass is much too mature and coarse for babies. They need softer, freshly sprouted grasses and in smaller pieces. When they are older and bigger, that grass you are offering now will be perfect!

Tortoise Man

Thank you all for your help! Yes, It is a Sulcata and a Leopard. The Sulcata was from a pet store who did not know what they were doing and he was on the way to having a really bad pyramiding problem. Obviously nobody wanted to buy him, so I felt bad and bought him. The Leopard on the other hand is very healthy and active and he is a year old. So when will the Leopard be old enough to eat grass and be outside all day(etc). Regarding the Leopard and Sulcata living together, there hasn't been a problem but I know it is not good. I am going to build a separate enclosure but I do have one question before I do. If I bought another tortoise and added him with the Leopard and Sulcata, would that be a answer to even look into? Would it solve any problems regarding fighting and stuff?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here is my thought on this subject (for when they are a bit older and after Tom's post):

If a tortoise lives outside in a well planted, safe and secure habitat and only comes in at night, there is no need for a whole new indoor habitat. When you bring it indoors you are essentially putting it away in its "night box" and it is going to sleep until morning. So all you need indoors at night is a box with something to burrow into, be it cardboard, wood, or whatever.

Tortoise Man

Thanks! That is very helpful. Also, I have decided to "Tortoise Proof" the yard and let the Sulcata just roam around everyday and take both of them in at night. The Leopard will stay in the enclosure everyday. Please, tell me your thoughts and suggestions on this. Thanks again