Nogueyi advice... On everything!

bexhex

I have an unexpected addition in the form of a nogueyi/western hingeback. I've been reading up LOTS but still feel I need to know a lot more. She's in temporary housing, plenty of heat and room, suitable diet but I need everything spot on for mypermanent indoor and outdoor enclosures, for her sake and my pockets sake as I want to spend out correctly!

What heating, lighting and UV is best for this forest species for their indoor enclosures? I'm in UK and was thinking of a combined bulb that emits both light, heat and uv. But I need to know what bulb/wattage specifically. Or am I better with a long UV strip bulb (again I need to know what kind) and a ceramic heat emitter on a day/night dimmer to provide 24 hour heat control? Lighting would just be natural daylight. What temp range do people find work best?

Hunidity wise I don't know if a large tort table or large viv would be best. I have read their humidity requirements isn't as high as other subspecies so I could get away with a table and misting a few tomes a day.

As regards my actual rescue tort I've been very lucky. She was in inappropriate housing and fed only strawberries. She's taken to her new diet very well and her shell looks in good nick. She will eat some weeds and garden plants (which is better than none!) and goes gaga for mushrooms and sweet peppers (I try and mix through some brighter coloured items in the hope she'll inadvertently munch greens!

Although she wont touch some bits she's very good but struggling with the protein part of her dietry requirements. She seems to leave mealworms and hoppers (even when I've reluctantly disabled them!) she really enjoyed two pachnoda beetle grubs but has refused them since. The only protein item she relishes is wild snails! She hunts them down and scoffs them but is this a worm concern??!! I have lots of baby giant african land snails, can I raise these for her? Currently feeding them on things like washed romaine and cucumber along with cuttlefish. Shall I order livefood earthworms?

She's been outside a lot as weathers been nice. She loves the rain but wont soak out of choice, ignores her water bowl but comes out and relishes the rain. When shes out I mist her and damp the ground throughout the day to give a humidity boost.

I'm supplementing twice a week with nutrobal and the other days with calcium powder. Constant access to cuttlefish but only nibbled it once briefly!

Any advice and set up pics, links etc. very much appreciated! She's been estimated at about 8-10 years old.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome.

Nogyuei will eat a lot more things like you have mentioned, mushrooms, papaya, banana, snails, etc.. I'd keep trying with green though. It's good to get a varied diet. These guys have a large range. But mostly are found along edges of RSI forests and savannas. So humidity is always needed for these guys, as well a large soaking dish. So I would go with an enclosed terrarium or big tub. It will be very difficult to maintain humidity with an open top. Temps mid 70s at night to 90s during the day I'd fine. Medium UV light nothing blasting like a 10.0 a 5.0'will work just fine. Try some oyster mushrooms, my guys just love them. But all in all, most of our nogyuei here do the same. They pick through what they want. Just try different greens. Like escarole, dandelion, endive, Italian parsley, cactus, thistles. Even banana leaves if you can find them.

bexhex

Thank you. She will scoff dandelion in seconds. Refuses plantains and clovers but hoping that will come with time. She had a brief munch on a grape vine leaf. Other things I've tried that she will eat a little of is hibiscus, geranium and nasturtium leaves. Not too bad i suppose but hoping the variety she will eat will expand over time! What ratio should the diet be with regards to fruit, veg and protein? I've read some sources saying 50/50 fruit & veg to protein and others saying 70/30 veg to fruit. Is it safe for her to be hunting garden snails provided she has worm counts done and is wormed when needed?

With the 5.0 UV do you prefer a seperate strip/long UV bulb and a seperate heat lamp (light emiting or ceramic) or do you prefer the combined bulbs that emit heat and Uv? I think once i find a reasonably priced viv thats big enough that will be my choice. Much easier on the humidity front. What humidity should i be trying to sustain please? 70%? Again I've read differing sources on this so at a loss! Thank you for your help!

bexhex

A link to an appropriate uv bulb would also be great as I get confused over the wattage, diameter, length, t5/t8, percentage etc.!

bexhex

P.S. Can I also ask a stupid question in what does RSI forest stand for (it will probably be obvious once you tell me haha!)

P.P.S. She would happily eat any mushroom or banana all day is I let her! Likewise with small amounts of sweet peppers and corgettes but I'm pressing on with new greens/weeds/garden plants!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
P.S. Can I also ask a stupid question in what does RSI forest stand for (it will probably be obvious once you tell me haha!)

P.P.S. She would happily eat any mushroom or banana all day is I let her! Likewise with small amounts of sweet peppers and corgettes but I'm pressing on with new greens/weeds/garden plants!
Haha oops. That was a typo. Was suppose to say "edges of forests" I don't know what RSI is either. Are you in the United States? That will help with stealing you to the bulbs you need.

T5/t8 are bulb size. T8 work best for putting out more uv. Unless going with a T5ho(high output) but you won't need that for this species. The more she can go outside too the better.
If in the us you can start here.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ywords=T8+5.0+zoomed&rh=i:aps,k:T8+5.0+zoomed

turtlemanfla88

I would be very careful feed African giant land snails they have been know to be toxic and carry a lot of parasites.

bexhex

Haha! Gotta love typos! I'm in england. Thanks for the link. The African land snails are captive bred by me on human grade shop bought food (romaine lettuce mainly) which i wash first. I have been told that if you feed them algae stuff you buy for fish tanks it somehow prevents parasites. Surely either way captive bred is better than her hunting down wild which probably have lungworm. What safe protein options are there please?

bexhex

Thank you! Would I need any additional UV or should that be sufficient?