Nominate or Subspecies...Help?

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
I'm in need of some help in identifying 3 of my 4 bodies. Adopted a male Three toed last year from an elderly man who didn't have time for him. But this is about my 3 females. I know for a fact that they're Ornates. Only issue is, not sure if they're T.o. ornate, or T.o. luteola. Anyone wanna take a stab at this? All 3 are female, and my youngest still has her baby colors due to her size and age. Here they are...
20230521_174026.jpg
20230521_174017.jpg
20230521_174119.jpg

Any ideas? Plus, what are the major differences between the two? Would luke to hear all thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hard for me to tell, but between the two groups in my collection, the western group has more muted colors.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I'm in need of some help in identifying 3 of my 4 bodies. Adopted a male Three toed last year from an elderly man who didn't have time for him. But this is about my 3 females. I know for a fact that they're Ornates. Only issue is, not sure if they're T.o. ornate, or T.o. luteola. Anyone wanna take a stab at this? All 3 are female, and my youngest still has her baby colors due to her size and age. Here they are...
View attachment 357161
View attachment 357162
View attachment 357163

Any ideas? Plus, what are the major differences between the two? Would luke to hear all thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!
They look like T. ornata ornata to me. The T. o. luteola I have seen have more greenish skin tones, especially on the heads. Also as Yvonne said, the shell colors are a bit more muted.

If you know in what state and where therein they originated, it might provide a clue also.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
They look like T. ornata ornata to me. The T. o. luteola I have seen have more greenish skin tones, especially on the heads. Also as Yvonne said, the shell colors are a bit more muted.

If you know in what state and where therein they originated, it might provide a clue also.
South Texas. Specifically, San Antonio is where I live. Where the original owners obtained their former pets, I couldn't tell you. For all I know, they could be wildcaught, and not captive bred.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Hard for me to tell, but between the two groups in my collection, the western group has more muted colors.
Fair enough. If it helps, I'm from South Texas. But, I've nonclue where the original owners got their former pets from, although I believe that the youngest in my collection may have been wild caught.