Non eating, lethargic russian

Lynnee

Hi I have a female Russian tourtoise named “Dennis”. I know I thought she was a he. I’ve had her for 8 years and she had always been active w a hearty appetite. I know all the right foods. Open table top home. Hot spot 90 degrees cool hide. Took her to the vet. Found nothing really wrong except for what I thought. She is giving her antibiotic injection in her trisept. Took poop sample, aside she has pinworms. Going to get a topical for that. She is not doing any better. I’ve soaked her in carrots. What am I to do. I live in Ohio w no room to have an out door enclosure. Please help. Oh and no impacted eggs.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Hi there. Can we get some pictures of Dennis and her enclosure? That may give us some ideas about what could be the matter.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
May I ask what the antibiotic injections were for?

Lynnee

Hi the medication is an injection into the triceps every 72 hrs. Last injection will be Friday. Ceftazidime 0.2 ml. I’m still trying to upload pictures

Lynnee

Dennis is still not eating. Very lathargic I will be picking up his topical pinworm medicine tomorrow. Would pin worms make him act like this.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
What about requesting a blood test?
I had a (what I thought) healthy Russian about 6 weeks ago. He stopped eating and was lethargic and his blood test showed he is in kidney failure.

Now I’m not saying that is what is wrong with your tortoise. There are so many reasons why they could be that way, but a blood test will give you an idea of anything going on internally.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
We need pictures of your tort and enclosure to help. What is the basking temp. It should be 95 to 100 not 90. Upload pics, what you feed and what temps. What are you giving antibiotics for? These can also cause lack of appetite. Did the vet do any test before giving meds?