Noob from Cypress, TX

txeyeguy

Location (City and/or State)
Cypress, TX
My 8yo daughter wants a tortoise, so like a good dad I am trying to do as much research as possible before we make the commitment. I have had experience as a teen with other reptiles (African fat-tailed gecko, ball python, and iguana), but never tortoises. I want a small tortoise that will be primarily housed indoors (possibly outdoors when it becomes more mature); the most likely candidates are a Greek tortoise or a Russian tortoise. It will be initially be housed in a Zoo Med tortoise house, but I will upgrade when the need comes (hopefully a good father/daughter project). Any suggestions or tips will be appreciated.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!

I would not get the zoo med tortoise house. They have a tendency to mold, and don’t hold humidity well.

Instead, I would get the biggest plastic tub you can find(like a 2x4 foot Christmas tree tub), and use that until it’s shell 3-4 inches. Then, move them into an 8x4 foot table.

Be sure to give these a read :)
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

txeyeguy

Cypress, TX
Welcome to the forum!

I would not get the zoo med tortoise house. They have a tendency to mold, and don’t hold humidity well.

Instead, I would get the biggest plastic tub you can find(like a 2x4 foot Christmas tree tub), and use that until it’s shell 3-4 inches. Then, move them into an 8x4 foot table.

Be sure to give these a read :)
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Thank you for the links. I have considered a plastic tub set-up, but I was wanting something more aesthetically pleasing (I know that should not be the main focus). I will re-consider the tub. How long does it typically take a baby Greek to reach 3-4 inches?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you for the links. I have considered a plastic tub set-up, but I was wanting something more aesthetically pleasing (I know that should not be the main focus). I will re-consider the tub. How long does it typically take a baby Greek to reach 3-4 inches?

Tortoise growth varies greatly, so I’m not sure. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say anywhere from 8 months to 2 years, but I would wait for a second opinion.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi and welcome! Alternatively you could get an adult Russian and then you wouldn't have to be as concerned about humidity (just make sure it stays hydrated by soaking regularly). Then you could have an open top table but it has to be big... 8x4ft. There are a lot of adult Russians being sold or given away on Craigslist and those poor creatures need good homes. Just an option :)

txeyeguy

Cypress, TX
Hi and welcome! Alternatively you could get an adult Russian and then you wouldn't have to be as concerned about humidity (just make sure it stays hydrated by soaking regularly). Then you could have an open top table but it has to be big... 8x4ft. There are a lot of adult Russians being sold or given away on Craigslist and those poor creatures need good homes. Just an option :)
Good suggestion. The only problem is the wife. She is not keen on the idea of a creature that takes up a lot of space, but the daughter is set on a turtle or tortoise, so I thought it would be best to start off small and upgrade as needed.

drew54

Indiana
If your getting either a tort or a turt they both require lots of room. Animal plastics have very good cages, but they are a bit pricey. You could also start out with a 40 gallon breeder tank. I use a 50 gallon Wal-Mart tub. It's not pleasing to the eye but it cheap and it works. I'm already getting everything I need to attach another tub to create a different micro climate and give her more room.

drew54

Indiana
My wife tolerates my love for exotic animals and tats all I ask lol she thought I was crazy for wanting a tortoise until I got one and I think she likes it. She doesn't mind the few hours cleaning the water dish, collecting grasses and weeds, prepping greens, checking temps, checking for poop if it's not in the soak then it's got to be around there somewhere. Thirty min daily soaks. Misting the enclosure. Picking nyx up to inspect her and baby talk to her for a while. Refresh her food dish and empty her soak dish out to fertilize the Bush out back. Watch her eat video it and take pictures. Then getting yelled at because your are trying to let the tort run around on the bed but you yell back that it's ok and that you put paper and a sheet down. So it's cool. The wife move to the couch as you are now sleeping worth a big *** tub on your bed with your tiny dinosaur. It's all good mannv you got this [emoji106]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you get a grown Russian, you could buy two Zoo Med Tortoise Houses and put them together end to end, taking out the connecting wall.