normal behavior???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
My RF Jerry Lee is recovering from a RI so he is in a small 12 gallon hospital tank. During the day with the Powersun the area stays about 95 degrees with 40% humidity (I am using a ZooMed double gage and question its accuracy as the spaghum moss under the basking light is pretty damp). For the past few days he has done well, soaked in the morning then eating a small breakfast. Yesterday when I came home he was laying in the cool side (it seems to stay about 75-80 degrees with 80% humidity)which he has been doing lately, but he had one of his legs dipped in his water bowl. I gave him a soak then took out the PowerSun and turned on his CHE-he was still asleep under it this morning. He refused his breakfast and dozed off under the warm side. Am I being super paranoid here, expecting too much? Does my lighting/temps sound okay? I was so happy for a few days he was so good-now it seems he is changing gears on me. It probably doesnt help I over analyze every movement and action of his-can someone lend some advice?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't keep redfooted tortoises, so my knowledge is limited, but I've read here on the forum that they don't need a hot side and a cool side, but appx. 80F degrees over the whole space is fine. It may be that your tortoise is a bit too warm. A 12 gallon hospital tank is pretty small to be able to support a Powersun bulb. As long as he's in the "hospital," why don't you quit using the Powersun and just use the CHE. A few days without UVB won't harm him.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Yvonne G said:
I don't keep redfooted tortoises, so my knowledge is limited, but I've read here on the forum that they don't need a hot side and a cool side, but appx. 80F degrees over the whole space is fine. It may be that your tortoise is a bit too warm. A 12 gallon hospital tank is pretty small to be able to support a Powersun bulb. As long as he's in the "hospital," why don't you quit using the Powersun and just use the CHE. A few days without UVB won't harm him.

Thanks Yvonne-I thought about that but didn't know if he could skip the UVB...the CHE will keep it around 85-90 throughout, so I will put that on him for the next few days. Who would have thought temp control was so difficult???? Not me-lol

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would also just go with the CHE, and keep it around 84 throughout. I keep my Redfoot at 82-84 throughout the entire enclosure, with a small increase in temps directly under the basking light or CHE. What do you use to cover the enclosure? Can you upload some pictures?

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
hospital tank 1.JPGHospital tank 2.JPGhospital tank 3.JPG
theelectraco said:
I would also just go with the CHE, and keep it around 84 throughout. I keep my Redfoot at 82-84 throughout the entire enclosure, with a small increase in temps directly under the basking light or CHE. What do you use to cover the enclosure? Can you upload some pictures?

First off, please excuse this poor excuse for an enclosure-he was in a beautifully decorated enclosure before-I swear! :) I covered the back half with foil (2 sheets worth) then covered that with the lid turned sideways. At night when I use his CHE, I cover all openings with foil to try to trap the heat. From the angle I used and my cheapo cell phone, it looks like the light is blinding-but the back half is somewhat shady with his plant. I also have the sides covered with board now, so he isnt so visable. I am SO open to any suggestions so please...let 'em fly!!! lol
thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.