I think I am giving up

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I think I should maybe start looking around here in Texas to see if I can't find Jerry Lee a better home. I feel like I have done everything I can do-he has gone to the vet, he has had medication-I have followed the wonderful advice from here to a "T"...and still feel as if I am failing. After being initally happy last week he was eating and sleeping in his hide, I am right back to him laying under the CHE all day. This moring I soaked him in his baby food and for the first time, he tried to get out. I put him back in the tank with just the CHE (it was suggested to me that maybe taking the PowerSun away for a few days would help). While he was soaking I completely emptied out the hospital tank, put down new Ecco Earth, wet it, then covered it all with Spaghum Moss. The CHE is keeping the enclosure at 85 for the most part thru out. This morning I attempted to give him spring mix and mushroom, and he wouldn't touch it. He extends his neck and opens his mouth a tad, but won't eat. He then goes to sleep. I am at my wits end. I spend my whole day at work bothering all you nice people, then I get home and spend most of the night watching Jerry. I get up an hour earlier in the morning to soak him and try to feed him-this morning I cried all the way to work. I don't know what to do-except maybe find him a home where someone more experienced than I can help him? I am so upset I don't know what to do at this point-when I left he was sleeping under the CHE with his front legs out and his little head turned to the side. I love him so much I only want the best for him, and as the days go by, I am thinking that is not me. :(

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Oh, I am sorry :( these little guys can be so hard! I'm sure he is so grateful for everything you have done for him. How long has this been going on?

Life is good

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Chainsawkitten said:
Oh, I am sorry :( these little guys can be so hard! I'm sure he is so grateful for everything you have done for him. How long has this been going on?

Life is good

I purchased him from an expo on 4/6. Three days later he went to the vet with URI symptoms. He had a series of 5 Baytil injections that ended a few weeks ago. I am very spoiled as my Boxie is (knock wood) healthy as a horse and very low maintence-so this is throwing me for a loop.:(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*hugs* First off take some very deep soothing breaths. Second throw away that whip your beating yourself up with. I used to think I had an idea of what folks like you were going through having gone through my years of working with tortoises. This winter I learned I was wrong. It came in the shape of a very sick little Russian who would from one minute to the next break my heart or send my flying high with hope. There were so many times I wanted to just be done with her out of sheer frustration. Even now I sometimes will think back and wish I had sent her off to somebody else who may have pulled her through. I felt like I let her down and failed her. Once those emotional pits pass, I start to realize I did give her the best chance I knew how. That somebody else may not have put as much love and yes tears into her care as I did. Like you, my life seemed to revolved around her. Every trip near her enclosure meant I needed to stop and check on her. During the night every few hours I was up to make sure she was okay, her temps were still stable in her enclosure ect.

What I am trying to tell you is this, I don't think anybody could be doing more for her. You have given her your heart and that is a powerful medicine. It may not be enough to force her to live and living may not be something either of you can get her to do. She may have something inside that is beyond any human's ability to fix. Part of life sadly is death. You do have to do what is not only right for her (which is what you have been doing and doing above and beyond), but also what is right for you. If you really need to pass her on to somebody else, then do so. None of us here will think less of you, nor should you. We all have our limits and they are known only to us. Just know no matter what you decide, I for one am very proud of what your have done for this little one and I am sure I am not alone in that.

*hugs*

(Don't know how far you are from Kelly/tortadise, but if you really do think you need to have somebody else take over care, he is in TX. Not sure how far from you.)

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Jacqui said:
*hugs* First off take some very deep soothing breaths. Second throw away that whip your beating yourself up with. I used to think I had an idea of what folks like you were going through having gone through my years of working with tortoises. This winter I learned I was wrong. It came in the shape of a very sick little Russian who would from one minute to the next break my heart or send my flying high with hope. There were so many times I wanted to just be done with her out of sheer frustration. Even now I sometimes will think back and wish I had sent her off to somebody else who may have pulled her through. I felt like I let her down and failed her. Once those emotional pits pass, I start to realize I did give her the best chance I knew how. That somebody else may not have put as much love and yes tears into her care as I did. Like you, my life seemed to revolved around her. Every trip near her enclosure meant I needed to stop and check on her. During the night every few hours I was up to make sure she was okay, her temps were still stable in her enclosure ect.

What I am trying to tell you is this, I don't think anybody could be doing more for her. You have given her your heart and that is a powerful medicine. It may not be enough to force her to live and living may not be something either of you can get her to do. She may have something inside that is beyond any human's ability to fix. Part of life sadly is death. You do have to do what is not only right for her (which is what you have been doing and doing above and beyond), but also what is right for you. If you really need to pass her on to somebody else, then do so. None of us here will think less of you, nor should you. We all have our limits and they are known only to us. Just know no matter what you decide, I for one am very proud of what your have done for this little one and I am sure I am not alone in that.

*hugs*

(Don't know how far you are from Kelly/tortadise, but if you really do think you need to have somebody else take over care, he is in TX. Not sure how far from you.)

Thank you-that made me feel better. Kelly has actually been a HUGE help in giving advice-and actually I thought of him first. I have never in my life given away an animal for ANY reason-but wow, this is hard. I try to tell myself to back off and let him be a tortoise-but I am too paranoid to do that, obviously. Plus there is no runny nose, puffy eyes-nothing. Very frustrating. I appreciate your encouragement-its hard not to beat ourselves up when something like this happens.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
MildredsMommy said:
-its hard not to beat ourselves up when something like this happens.

Yes it is, so much easier when your the person standing outside to be able to say not to do it. :cool: I think it shows your level of love, concern and involvement to this little guy. As for Kelly isn't he the sweetest most generous fellow. I feel so fortunate to have him here with us.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Jacqui said:
MildredsMommy said:

Yes it is, so much easier when your the person standing outside to be able to say not to do it. :cool: I think it shows your level of love, concern and involvement to this little guy. As for Kelly isn't he the sweetest most generous fellow. I feel so fortunate to have him here with us.

Yes-he let me bug him for days-he told me how to set up the hospital tank, etc. Very patient! lol. My hubby just called to say Jerry is still snoozing under the CHE. I tell myself somedays I feel like being warmer than others-its the whole "calm yourself down" technique :)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
MildredsMommy said:
Jacqui said:
MildredsMommy said:

Yes-he let me bug him for days-he told me how to set up the hospital tank, etc. Very patient! lol. My hubby just called to say Jerry is still snoozing under the CHE. I tell myself somedays I feel like being warmer than others-its the whole "calm yourself down" technique :)

:)

Life is good

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Jacqui's first post. Hopefully someone can confirm this, Jacqui, Kelly, etc, but I am sure I have read before that baytil will make tortoises go off food for quite sometime. It's only been two weeks, maybe that's not long enough. Also, just to refresh a little, have you checked your temps with a reliable source, like a temp gun?
Is it warm enough that you could take him outside for some good old sunshine?
I know you have done everything possible. I am just trying to throw things out there. Sometimes it's good to go back over things from the beginning and try again, or sometimes someone not so close to the situation can spark something. I'm so sorry you both are going through this.
Just a note here. Another member has a tort that had to be syringe fed for a long time. Then he got better and could eat on his own. Gain the weight back he had lost, which was quite a bit and acted like a tortoise should. Then, this past, March or April, done hill again. Not really sick, but stopped eating. She kept trying to feed all his faves and he just wouldn't eat. She went back to syringe feeding again. Just a couple days ago, he started eating in his own and acting like the handsome tortoise he is suppose to be. Maybe try syringe feeding if you haven't. So, you see, there is hope, great hope, he will bounce back.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
but I am sure I have read before that baytil will make tortoises go off food for quite sometime. It's only been two weeks, maybe that's not long enough.

Yes it is often said to cause appetites to drop. Plus there is the stress of those shots.

Like was said, a month or so, isn't very long. I had a hingeback that took over a year before he was really eating well. Most of that time it was just an odd occasional nibble. The other two he came with took several months, but not the year he did. I was trying everything I could to tempt them into eating. It was very frustrating. They are why I got into Russians, as a stress reliever because those pigs would eat anything. :D Sorta balanced things out during that period of time. :D

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm so sorry to hear of your frustrations trying to get your baby to feel better. You think someone else would do a better job? I don't think so. Someone may do the same as you have done, but not better because of the loving care you're giving your tort. Give it some time. Try to hand feed him. Try to feed him with a syringe. Remember, torts can go a very long time without food. Don't hang it up just yet. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
I am so sorry you're going through this. Earlier this year I had a marginated named Rosie with a pyramided shell and a respiratory infection. She was my first tortoise and I didn't know what to do. I cried. A lot. These guys helpd me so much with it and we're there for me. I'm SURE (you have a 100% Olivia guarantee) that they're here for you, too. Just do what I did; sit down, take a few deep breaths, have some tea or a warm drink (NOT coffee, that will just make your brain wired and dehydrated), and clear your mind (watch tv, read a book, do puzzles, ANYTHING that will help you clear your mind and relax). I think that animals can sense stress and other emotions, so doing this will help both you and your pets. And, besides, you can't think clearly with a brain "fogged up" with funky, stressed out thoughts. Drink lots of water, too, (if you aren't already) you can't think clear, strong thoughts if you're dehydrated. But, if you do think that giving Jerry is the right thing to do, think it through. A LOT. I regret giving rosie away and I think about her every day. But, if i didnt i wouldnt have gotten daisy and rosie might have gotten worse. Always remember: everything happens for a reason, good OR bad. -lots of hugs-

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hmm ... sorry to hear you're so frustrated, but it doesn't sound so bad.

MildredsMommy said:
After being initally happy last week he was eating and sleeping in his hide, I am right back to him laying under the CHE all day.

Nothing wrong with hanging out on the warm end all day. My guys do that sometimes, too, and they're fit as a fiddle. Chalk it up to getting spoiled. ;)

This moring I soaked him in his baby food and for the first time, he tried to get out.

They usually do. If the temperature is nice and warm, most of them sit for a bit longer, but sooner or later, they try to climb out. Nothing unusual there.

I put him back in the tank with just the CHE (it was suggested to me that maybe taking the PowerSun away for a few days would help). While he was soaking I completely emptied out the hospital tank, put down new Ecco Earth, wet it, then covered it all with Spaghum Moss. The CHE is keeping the enclosure at 85 for the most part thru out.

Sounds okay there, too.

This morning I attempted to give him spring mix and mushroom, and he wouldn't touch it. He extends his neck and opens his mouth a tad, but won't eat. He then goes to sleep. I am at my wits end.

Maybe mushrooms are not his favorite, or maybe not yet. Spring mix is good. Lots of other nice plants out there, too. If the weather is nice, he might forage for himself outside. Your tortoise is a redfoot, right? If so, they need a little meat from time to time (not as often as boxies, but more often than most other tortoises). Maybe a nice little helping of cooked chicken on the bone will perk him right up.

I am so upset I don't know what to do at this point-when I left he was sleeping under the CHE with his front legs out and his little head turned to the side.

That is the universal "turtle sunbathing position." It's instinctive for them. I'd be worried if he didn't do that! :)

It's ultimately your decision. I'm just glad you're thinking about what's best for him. But it sounds like you're beating up on yourself, and without reason. From where I'm sitting, your guy sounds like he's doing quite well! A bit lethargic perhaps, maybe his appetite is not quite there yet. But again, none of that is unusual for a turtle getting used to his new home, particularly one that's an import, or that previously had poor husbandry, or is getting over a parasite infestation. I think the thing to do now is just relax, let your tortoise relax, and watch him gradually and literally come out of his shell over the next few days, possibly weeks. In short, don't worry. So far, so good! :D

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Exactly how long has he been on a hunger strike? I skimmed the thread but did not see an exact time. I got my Redfoot with a URI also. Was doing Baytril orally for about a week. I ended up making a veggie smoothie and force feeding him a few times, and after a few times my tortoise ended up eating on its own. I noticed the biggest improvements from the URI when I let my tort be and just made sure the temps were good and stress was low.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
First off, thanks to ALL of you guys-you are the best. Between the advice and the encouragement, I don't know what I would have done :) I have slowed down, decompressed, and taken deep breaths. I do feel better. I guess what worried me was the turnaround-the doing well and eating a bit for two or three days, then back to not eating, basking all day, etc. I soaked him in Pediolyte and strained carrots last night (Came home from work early to have extra time) Made sure his enclosure is warm and snug (95 degrees/60 % humidity on the warm side, 85 Degrees and 80% humidity on the cooler side). After having his CHE on and nothing else for two days, I did put his powersun back on today. He soaked this morning and refused breakfast, but there was no neck extending and gaping that I observed. I am backing off and letting him be a tortoise-I am checking on him of course, but other than that just letting him have quiet time by himself. I didnt know if I could take him out while he was recovering, so I will get him outside into sunshine this weekend for sure. Again, thanks everyone for all your kind words and help-I feel like I can breathe again. :D

~Roxanne

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Glad to hear it, Roxanne. Remember, reptiles and particularly tortoises respond to conditions more slowly than mammals do. They get sick more slowly, and then they recover more slowly, too. Part of this is because their metabolisms are so slow: about a tenth that of a similarly size mammal. If you have a tortoise and a rabbit of the same weight, the rabbit will not only be more active, but he will also need more food to support that activity.

Tortoises are cool pets because they teach us to be patient and take it easy. Just give Jerry Lee a little time, and he will come around. :)

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Glad to hear it, Roxanne. Remember, reptiles and particularly tortoises respond to conditions more slowly than mammals do. They get sick more slowly, and then they recover more slowly, too. Part of this is because their metabolisms are so slow: about a tenth that of a similarly size mammal. If you have a tortoise and a rabbit of the same weight, the rabbit will not only be more active, but he will also need more food to support that activity.

Tortoises are cool pets because they teach us to be patient and take it easy. Just give Jerry Lee a little time, and he will come around. :)

Thank you for that :)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
MildredsMommy said:
First off, thanks to ALL of you guys-you are the best. Between the advice and the encouragement, I don't know what I would have done :) I have slowed down, decompressed, and taken deep breaths. I do feel better. I guess what worried me was the turnaround-the doing well and eating a bit for two or three days, then back to not eating, basking all day, etc. I soaked him in Pediolyte and strained carrots last night (Came home from work early to have extra time) Made sure his enclosure is warm and snug (95 degrees/60 % humidity on the warm side, 85 Degrees and 80% humidity on the cooler side). After having his CHE on and nothing else for two days, I did put his powersun back on today. He soaked this morning and refused breakfast, but there was no neck extending and gaping that I observed. I am backing off and letting him be a tortoise-I am checking on him of course, but other than that just letting him have quiet time by himself. I didnt know if I could take him out while he was recovering, so I will get him outside into sunshine this weekend for sure. Again, thanks everyone for all your kind words and help-I feel like I can breathe again. :D

~Roxanne

*HUGS*

Life is good

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Sorry if I missed species of tortoises, but things to always try:
Romaine, strawberries, mazuri tortoise diet, marion zoological (my tortoises love it), cactus pad chopped up. Get the temp up to 90. They are more likely to eat when they are warmer. Baytril will definitely affect appetite. Worse case scenario, you could have a feeding tube put in until her appetite comes back. I know a vet in El Paso if your vet isn't experienced to do it. I've shipped tortoises to him for CT scans and stuff. Kelly has done the same. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.