Normal urates?

Michael Malone

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Tx
I have saw urates before but these seem to be a little bigger that normal? Is there something wrong?

IMG_0259.jpg

Bambam1989

East Texas
Those urates are a sign that your tort is or has been recently dehydrated.
How long have you had your tort?
What is the humidity in his enclosure?
Does he have access to a water dish that he can easily crawl in and out of at all times?
How often and how long do you soak your tort?

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
8-9 months and he's in a closed chamber tub. Temp in the 90's humidity always above 95%. He does have a teracata saucer to drink from at all times. I soak 1-2 times a day but I have been working crazy shifts at wrk and I haven't had a chance to soak him the last two days.

Bambam1989

East Texas
8-9 months and he's in a closed chamber tub. Temp in the 90's humidity always above 95%. He does have a teracata saucer to drink from at all times. I soak 1-2 times a day but I have been working crazy shifts at wrk and I haven't had a chance to soak him the last two days.
You have had him long enough that I would assume any dehydration that occurred before you got him would not be a problem. That's a great humidity level. Is the entire enclosure 90f or does he have temperature gradients?
Has he been in the closed chamber enclosure with high humidity only recently or the entire time you have had him?
I know, SO many questions..

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
I've never checked the far end of enclosure but I am sure it is prolly in the mid to high 80's I'm gonna get another thermometer so I can check that out.

I wish he was in the closed chamber since I got him lol he has been in there about 2 and a half months.

I had him in a 2'x4' box covered with plexiglass but it was was difficult to keep in humor and he stated to pyramid. So I moved him into a tub and his new growth is already smoothing out.

I was told by the time he was grown that I caught it early enough that it shouldn't even be that noticeable. (Finger crossed)

And questions are ok with me lol that's the only way anyone ever learns anything [emoji106]

Bambam1989

East Texas
I'm not sure what could be causing such heavy urates from what you describe. @Tom @wellington @Yvonne G and some of the other more knowledgeable tort enthusiasts may have some better insight. This sounds like it will be a learning thread for me too..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you feeding Mazuri, clover, alfalfa, or other legumes?

Are those urates hard and gritty or soft and squishy? As long as they are soft, this is normal and okay.

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
He currently eats grass and weeds from outside, cactus pads and spring mix.

And I didn't try and press down on them to see if they were squishy I defiantly will next time if they are that big again.