Northern Red foot vs Cherry head poll

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
So as i FINALLY after a long process get ready to move into my own home that i'm purchasing i'll be getting more torts and have been thinking about switching from Northern Red foot's to Cherries to raise as hatchlings into potential breeders one day in the future

This would mean re homing my northern to a GOOD home because i don't want to mix the two even tho i know it's possible i want to better the bloodlines not mix them, so this got me thinking what would TFO members chose? and why?

for me it's mostly because cherries seem to be more colorful and are more prominent to marbling which is beautiful

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
If I was starting all over, knowing what I know now, I'd have all cherries.
that's been my though's exactly and why i kinda wanna switch but if i did i'd find a GOOD home someone who knows what they're doing

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Cherryheads all the way. Smaller and more colorful and if I ever have to re-home them more people will want them.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
The stingy @cdmay was my inspiration. He is very stingy with pictures of his torts. But his are some of the most beautiful! His also produce babies that have one of the highest tendency to marble.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
The stingy @cdmay was my inspiration. He is very stingy with pictures of his torts. But his are some of the most beautiful! His also produce babies that have one of the highest tendency to marble.
wow i just looked up a thread of there's posting they're torts wow that's all i can say.

i have a question if you don't mind when matching potential like say your going for marbling so you put some high marbling individuals together or do you just kinda go willy nilly and hope for the best? lol

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I blame you and Mr. @cdmay for my cherry obsession!!!!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I'm a fan of all reds. Cherries are awesome, I love ours but I love our Guyanas just as much. As for the marbling, it doesn't do anything for me and those were the ones we didn't hold onto. Kept the most classic, text book looking ones. That's the way I am with all species though. Can't deny that they are really neat looking though.

Onidara

I'm happy when I started my herd that I chose cherry, I love them. The Reds and oranges are beautiful.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I love the footed species!! However, I really love Redfoots!! Cherries are beautiful! I've always wanted cherries and got 2 last year. I can't wait for them to get bigger and marble, but I truly love Redfoots too. That's why I got 4 of them. I vote Redfoots :)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
wow i just looked up a thread of there's posting they're torts wow that's all i can say.

i have a question if you don't mind when matching potential like say your going for marbling so you put some high marbling individuals together or do you just kinda go willy nilly and hope for the best? lol

There has been many debates as to what causes marbling, some use that thing called science to try to explain it, but I get lost with all the big words and it takes the fun out if things. All I know it that some breeders produce hatchlings with a higher tendency to marble. @cdmay is one of the (very few if not only one I know) breeders that has an unusually high rate of marbling at a very small hatchling size. Most hatchlings don't start marbling until they are at least 5-6" (8 months or more). Carl's seem to marble right out of the egg! At least it seems like it, but it is more like within the first month or two that you can see marbling in his hatchlings. Mine don't seem to marble until they are at least a year old. I have several marbled adults but I have not kept too many for long enough to see if they marble. Marbled torts tend to have little and/or bland colors on their legs and head. I guess it is a trade off, pretty shell vs. pretty colors. There are exceptions to that of course but it seems to be a common thing from what I have seen. Here are two of my marbled girls:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/yellowheaded-cherryhead-and-extreme-marbling.20218/
Bonita has one of the most extraordinarily marbled shell that leads you to overlook that she has minimal leg scales and a scattered head pattern. Lemonhead on the other hand has the neatest colors I have seen on a cherryhead, but notice, the leg scales are also minimal and the color on the head is also not too much. So it is a trade off.

Here is the old thread with the cool hatchling I got from cdmay: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/marbled-cherry-hatchlings-2010.17924/

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I'm a Northern "plain" redfoot kinda gal. If I lived in a better location, I'd help you out in a heartbeat (if you decided to part with 'em). If I were in your situation and had the space, money and time, I'd keep/add both; they're both amazing, beautiful creatures.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I love um all'......and there are a lot of variables even within the Cherryhead Phenotype. This one is sorta marbled ya think?

Not all are so "Cherry".....
(my black line- take a look at skin/scale coloring)

Nor are all Plastrons marbled.......
The Typical -

Atypical-

some other examples.....

Size...?
Ok from a hatchling ...2" all the way to 14" - Not all are so called dwarfs.

10+" Male showing "Male wasp shape". Usually not so pronounced within the cherryheads

A very "Different" Star shape marbling ...

JD~:)