Not drinking during soaking.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'd say if he's drinking on his own, what are you worried about? I'd take advantage of that, one less tort to have to soak. He's pretty...
but once a day is enough

M

Maggie Cummings

And I would make the substrate more moist, unless it's just dry on top and damp underneath. IMO, all you need is a night light, (I use black light bulbs), and 1 UVB bulb. A 100 watt Powersun will keep his whole habitat warm enough, and at night in my closed chamber the black light bulb drops the temp to 80 degrees. But 'Melon' has the opportunity to go thru a PVC pipe into the cooler side.......see how 'wet' her substrate looks compared to yours? Not meaning any disrespect, just trying to show you how I do it, that's all. Besides, who could pass up that cute butt?????

DSCN0666.JPG

Holly'sMom

And I would make the substrate more moist, unless it's just dry on top and damp underneath. IMO, all you need is a night light, (I use black light bulbs), and 1 UVB bulb. A 100 watt Powersun will keep his whole habitat warm enough, and at night in my closed chamber the black light bulb drops the temp to 80 degrees. But 'Melon' has the opportunity to go thru a PVC pipe into the cooler side.......see how 'wet' her substrate looks compared to yours? Not meaning any disrespect, just trying to show you how I do it, that's all. Besides, who could pass up that cute butt?????

View attachment 191693
Humidity is actually the one thing I don't have issues maintaining in a tank it's never dropped below 70/80% humidity and I spray it a few times a day by hand I it drops below 80% the mister was just too much. I'll use it once we build something better. Also It seems like that coconut fiber dries out on the top quick under the lamps. I was actually complaining that the water dishes are leaking soaking the whole one side (there's a layer of top soil too under 1/2 and 1/2 has coconut fiber mixed w topsoil under 2-3 inch of coconut fiber so it gets muddy if I leave the dishes leaking too much). I have to change them every few days after a new wet spot or the whole thing turns to sludge but even with the lamps I have now my basking area won't get higher than the middle temp unless I have a chi in the middle kinda closer to the basking w a basking lamp and then the UVB is separate. At night I need 2 100 watt chi's to keep an 80\85 degree (these are on the floor because I was trying a new lamp to try to take the extra basking and uv off by using a different type of lamp but it's actually lower that what I've been using ) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478640606.313153.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478640586.730519.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478640606.313153.jpg

Holly'sMom

The wood chips stuff is from zoo med forest floor lol I ran out of soil and used it on the bottom layer now I've had a hell of a time getting rid of it all and the black stuff is soil not poop! She's burrows at night over there so it gets mixed! I'm looking at these like omg it looks like it's nasty