Not eating

Dharam

My tortoises have suddenly stopped eating lately..!
The larger tortoise has stopped eating since two days..!
It even has stopped its normal movements and likes to hide much.!
The temperature has increased and many other experienced India keepers adviced that it is due to high temperature.
She was eating like pigs before and we had to seperate her from the smaller one as she is much shy to eat.!
Advice welcome..!

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Keep them separated and mist them down throughout the day to cool them off. Offfer shady places and tons of hides.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My tortoises have suddenly stopped eating lately..!
The larger tortoise has stopped eating since two days..!
It even has stopped its normal movements and likes to hide much.!
The temperature has increased and many other experienced India keepers adviced that it is due to high temperature.
She was eating like pigs before and we had to seperate her from the smaller one as she is much shy to eat.!
Advice welcome..!

Along with potentially the heat...I bet there was some underlying issue with them being paired in the same enclosure/space....pairs are not a good idea....also, you mention "the larger one"....not a good idea to keep out of size torts with one another, especially in a pair situation....some of the signs you will see is decrease in food consumption (completely stop eating as well) decrease in exercise and an overall not well appearance....so? You should have two comparable areas for each tortoise to have peace.

Dharam

FD1217A8-C69C-41B6-8837-D33F46E4FFBE.jpeg F1287DEF-CA44-46B7-A986-164713C86B3E.jpeg 8CB831F0-9BA7-4127-9D4C-D5CDF7C86D78.jpeg It rained today and weather cooled down a bit plus as per the instructions I gave dried grass in their hideout hut to give some comfort..!

They have stayed together all life so can they be fighting..!? Both are female Indian star tortoise only..!

Plus can the small tortoise dominate the larger one..!?

I am giving them everyday soaks and today both of them ate a bit..!!

Btw thnx for the suggestions..!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Torts are territorial and when in pairs eventually one will very subtly bully the other especially in confined spaces when they cannot get away from each other, so one could be having a very miserable time of it.
Soaking is good.
There may be a caresheet in the species specific section which will give you advice about substrate, straw isn't usually recommended for torts but that may be different for your species. Also have a look at the enclosures threads for god ideas.

Dharam

Well I have good news..
After just nibbling on some food for two days the larger tort yesterday pooped a bit stiff poop..
It was harder in contistency than normal after which she ate..
And from today morning she is back to her older days of eating whatever she can find..
The smaller one is also eating good and has started roaming.
Plus they seem to like the dried grass thing as they are many times found tugged inside together making small caves in it..!
Thankyou for your time and suggestions..!
Always great to talk here