Now I know it's a baby desert tortoise...

leutseym

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, Arizona
2-888AA9C5-810282-480.jpg 2-888AA9C5-810282-480.jpgHello!

By looking at the picture, can you tell about how old this little desert tortoise might be? He isn't taking to any of the foods recommended that I have tried so far. He is in a nice long plastic container, but it is clear, so he is always at the ends of looking/trying to get out of it. When I pick him up, he instantly falls asleep in my hand. I take him out to my garden and let him bask in the sunlight for a bit. It is still too hot in Arizona right now to let him bask more than 15 minutes. He will BAKE! Good ol' Az. sun!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to soak him everyday in warm water for 20-30 minutes. He's not very old, I would guess a couple months, but really hard to say, specially by a pic. Also, be sure to have water available 24/7 for him to drink and self soak should he want.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi, this baby looks very dry. Please soak him twice daily for 20-30 minutes. Barb also suggest to have a saucer of warm water for self soak and drinking. Change water daily. He looks so cute, and you want him healthy. Sometimes when a tort is in a new environment, they tend not to eat much. Give him time to settle in and try not to handle him too much until he is familiar with you. Congrats on your new baby! :)

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
wellington said:
Be sure to soak him everyday in warm water for 20-30 minutes. He's not very old, I would guess a couple months, but really hard to say, specially by a pic. Also, be sure to have water available 24/7 for him to drink and self soak should he want.

Thank you for your reply. He looks at me like I am punishing him when I soak him in warm water. I need to get over feeling bad, because I know it is good for him, and he needs it.

sibi said:
Hi, this baby looks very dry. Please soak him twice daily for 20-30 minutes. Barb also suggest to have a saucer of warm water for self soak and drinking. Change water daily. He looks so cute, and you want him healthy. Sometimes when a tort is in a new environment, they tend not to eat much. Give him time to settle in and try not to handle him too much until he is familiar with you. Congrats on your new baby! :)

You are so right Sibi, he is very dry. Mostly on the top part of his back shell. How can I soak that part of him without drowning him?? Arizona water is very drying to say the least. Any suggestions for that part of his shell would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, he is precious! He doesn't want to stay in his box though, he wants to be out and held by me, then he instantly falls asleep in my hand...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Awww, that's so cute. Eventually he'll learn to be a tortoise and sleep in his hide:) What I do with my torts is soak them in warm water that goes as high as his top legs but just under the chin of his head. He lo es it, but see how far you can go with your tort. I splash water on top of his shell. When he's not soaking, mist his shell often. In time, his shell will start to look healthier. However, a good diet and exercise will probably do the most to make his shell look healthy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is a thread I did on russians. I house DTs pretty much the same way.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

More captive DT babies die of dehydration than anything else. The damp substrate that can be burrowed into, the humid hide, the water dish, and the daily soaks, are all aimed at combating this chronic dehydration.

Good luck.

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
Tom said:
Here is a thread I did on russians. I house DTs pretty much the same way.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

More captive DT babies die of dehydration than anything else. The damp substrate that can be burrowed into, the humid hide, the water dish, and the daily soaks, are all aimed at combating this chronic dehydration.

Good luck.

Thank you Tom!

puffy137

Hello leutseym, congrats on your baby,I have one born in June which is about the same size as yours.It was the first hatched this year , then followed by another 11 babies about a month later., yippeee! Don't worry too much about the desert climate, it is more acclimatized to the desert than you are. Mine never drank water getting most of their liquids from juicy lettuce leaves which they love. It sleeps in your hand because it loves feeling warm. Best of luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Linda:

I would like to see a bigger picture of the tortoise. It looks like a Greek tortoise to me in this small picture.