Nursery plants

emmal30

5 Year Member
We are trying to expand the food we are feeding our Hermanns. We've looked at approved plants but were wondering what people think the risk is of buying them from nurseries. Is there a possibility they might contain fertilisers/pesticides and would this be dangerous? Is there a way of eliminating this risk? Thanks!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Yep. There is. Many growers use hormones or systematic fertilizers so that the plants stay at the retail venue longer and look great. You want that to be flushed out. I usually wait 3 to 6 months. It can probably be okay in a month or 2 but I just want to be very sure. Some nurseries are organic through and through. Usually family run operations. Also, some of your farmers market vendors will be organic growers but even then, I still wait at least of month before feeding. Better wait, than sorry.

Here is a fun link, below. I see you have a Hermann, but most of these plants should be good to try. Variety is king! Happy gardening. Best part of tortoise keeping is better gardens! : )

http://www.pinterest.com/pietersmith/leopard-tortoise-edible-plants/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We have a member here that works at a nursery. He says they are using commercial systemic pesticides that can last up to 12 months in the plants tissues.

I prefer to grow my own from seeds, or I let them weather outside for a year and then only feed out new growth that occurred after one year.