Obsessed With Slugs & Snails

Location (City and/or State)
Croydon
Hello,

So just wanted to ask if anybody has had the same experience...

As I have said in my first post I have been lucky enough to discover Sheldon whilst hanging washing in the garden.

I still do not know where he had come from but seems to be MEGA obsessed with eating any slug or snail he can find! This is made easier by the fact I have ‘tortoise proofed’ the garden so he has free roam!

So I have come to the conclusion that maybe he has been out roaming for a while and may have had to live off them?!

Kinda gone from mega cute to mega gross! Only joking... still besotted with him [emoji173]️

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Several if us have made a connection between snail consumption and internal parasites.
But my Redfoot eat every one that they encounter and are almost never ill.
They're only mildly disgusting when compared to other things tortoises will and do eat.

Croydon
Thank you ZEROPILOT and MPRC for getting back to me!

I was told to check his poo for any worms or anything in it, but how otherwise can you tell if they have parasites?!

We are fond of keeping the garden trimmed but fairly natural so don’t use any sort of poison.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You will almost never see worms in the poo as only eggs get passed with your "usual" infestation. And eggs are super tiny.
If you see worms, it's from an infestation that is out of control and needs treatment. Not all parasite infestations need treatment and in fact, many tortoises carry parasites and live just fine with them.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Several if us have made a connection between snail consumption and internal parasites.
But my Redfoot eat every one that they encounter and are almost never ill.
They're only mildly disgusting when compared to other things tortoises will and do eat.
ZEROPILOT, Have you ever had to deal with invasive Giant African Land Snails in your part of the state?

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I've never seen them in person, either. From what I've heard and read, they can get as big as North American box turtles (adults), and they're easily capable of damaging plaster and stucco on the sides of houses. Not the kind of thing I'd ever want near a turtle or tortoise.