OC Turtle Show *PIC HEAVY*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Team Gomberg said:
I'd love to know how they were raised. Any threads you have on them and their upbringing?? I'm interested in how anyone raises them smooth even if using a different method. ;)

I've had a large thread cued up in my "saved drafts" folder about it with more details for a long time, but I don't think I'll ever get around to finishing it any time soon. I didn't want to leave you hanging so here's an overview.

They were primarily raised outdoors here in AZ. Whenever I brought them inside, they would be placed in 50 gallon rubbermaid tubs with cypress which was kept dry. They did have water dishes in both their inside and outside enclosures and they were soaked daily anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes, so they were kept well hydrated. Indoors I used MVB's occasionally, but the artificial lighting was primarily tube florescent with a CHE for heat. They had a very standard diet, whatever was growing outside primarily (grasses, weeds, leaves). Spring mix and mazuri were regularly fed too. The first two years they were outside we had poor monsoon seasons so humidity levels remained relatively low and inconsistent during those summers. Their pen was hosed down about once a day so things were not completely bone dry at all times. But, it certainly wasn't enough to increase humidity levels for an extended period of time.

So while not kept bone dry at all times, my particular group definitely were not maintained with high humidity for any extended periods of time. The entire group I had grew consistently smooth. They had quite a bit of growth before they came to me, which was slightly pyramided, but you can see from the pictures I post that most of their growth has been smooth. I think part of it has to do with them being South African's which appear to be less prone to pyramiding than the other type. That has been my observation at least. I have mentioned before that the babcocki I have raised in this same manner have not been as consistent, though the pyramiding is not severe in any sense.

There's the general overview. If you have any specific questions I would be more than happy to answer.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes Neal, one more question. Did these SA leopards have Vitashell applications?

I have my suspicions that Vitashell may actually contribute to smooth shell growth. Walking rock, the sulcata owned by member Zamric, has been one major example that plays into my theory.

I'll be curious to learn your answer. And thanks for sharing about them. I appreciate it.
:shy:

Sent from my TFOapp

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Not like I did with the babcocki. Less than five times for sure. Definitely not enough to contribute to the results I am seeing.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: OC Turtle Show *PIC HEAVY*

Neal said:
Not like I did with the babcocki. Less than five times for sure. Definitely not enough to contribute to the results I am seeing.

This is good to note..thank you. I may follow up with you privately in the future.

Sent from my TFOapp

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: OC Turtle Show *PIC HEAVY*

Neal said:
I appreciate the use of my pictures, however, the caption above one of my pictures says that they are examples of smooth tortoises raised in high humidity. The babcocki are fine, but the pardalis that I have (although smooth) were not raised in a humid environment.

No humidity even at night?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

There was no humid hide at all?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Not with my pardalis group.

Status
Not open for further replies.