Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
maggie3fan said:
Poor Patches, he went thru all that and lived, and then packed in a box to move up here and lived, and jiggled around in the moving truck for 800 miles leaving California and lived, and after being here for a few months he died. (didn't see that coming didja???)

I'm not a scientist, or a doctor, but MY OPINION is that turtles and tortoises who suffer a really big injury such as Patches did, keep an under-lying infection going on way after the antibiotics have been stopped, until eventually that infection grows and grows and kills the animal. Usually no outward signs anything is wrong. My suggestion to anyone who has a turtle or tortoise who suffers a really big injury is to go through the whole antibiotic regime like the vet tells you, then after a lay off of a week or two, start it up again for another period of time. (I think that's what happened to Mildred too, Maggie)

Yvonne

FunnyGirl

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I spent four hours yesterday raking and going through the backyard. I spent another 2 this morning. Everytime I hear a bird land, I go running!! Meanwhile, ET is basking in the sun, eating his meals, soaking in his tub and living the spoiled tortoise life while Crash is god-knows-where in the backyard jungle. PowerBall has been helping me out and he has managed to find just about everything lost in that backyard since 1978 when my dad bought this house. Everything but Crash. It is just so hard to get him to understand what I want him to find. I even practiced "find him" on ET a bit last night just to reinforce what I am asking him to find. I am going to put a sign up at work and ask if anyone has a SR dog or a trained tracker. Most of my friends with these kinds of dogs live out of state! This whole thing is making me think I might find out how to train a tracking dog!

I am mostly worried about the water situation. He was always a real active guy and would bask in his light, move around his tank, dive in his pool, beg for food, and burry in the dirt in his inside habitat. I am just finding it so hard to believe I haven't seen him for days! My neighbors are on lookout too.

Maggie - I think Crash and Switch really could sympathize with the he/she situation! LOL!

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Oh, I hope you find him. take the dogs on a leash and let them lead you around the yard, maybe they can find him for you! Good luck!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Was just curious. Any luck on finding him yet? You havn't posted in a while. Hope it means you found him!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Just wondering if you found your buddy yet? Did you weed eat the fence line? You could cut it a few inches taller than what he is and maybe find where he dug out.
Good luck
Patsy

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I just found this thread and can really feel for you. I know what you are going through. I am still searching for my Three Toed. It is a horrible feeling wondering if someone found her and doesn't know how to take care of her. Is there any news on yours? Good luck...I hope you can find her.

helensky

5 Year Member
just keep your eyes open and chin up - if it makes you feel any better my hermann disappeared for two weeks recently, we combed every blade of grass adn couldnt find any disturbed soil - we gave up but low and behold two weeks later he was on top of his hide looking pleased as punch. He will come out of hiding and into the open every now an then, just hope you have your eyes open when he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.