Oil paint on Angulate

JeannineD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Garden Route, South Africa
Over the December tourist season some idiot thought it would be a good idea to paint this tortoise. I see him regularly and he seems unaffected by the paint, but he is very visible with no natural camouflage anymore. I rinsed him underwater a few months ago but the paint is oil-based and I don't want to use solvents. Any ideas about removing it? Or should I just leave him be?

painted tort 011.JPG
painted tort 003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I found two Gopher tortoises last year that were partially painted and in a mall parking lot. (one was at a gas station)
I used a "ScotchBrite" pad to remove most of the paint and bought them to a sanctuary area.
The sun will fade out what is left. If it won't easily come off, it may be best to leave it alone.

JeannineD

5 Year Member
I found two Gopher tortoises last year that were partially painted and in a mall parking lot. (one was at a gas station)
I used a "ScotchBrite" pad to remove most of the paint and bought them to a sanctuary area.
The sun will fade out what is left. If it won't easily come off, it may be best to leave it alone.
Ah! The pad is a good idea. Will do that every now and again as it flakes naturally, Exfoliation for tortoises.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
My Guess would be that the tortoise was painted some four or five years ago, or the axxhole who painted it took extra special care to leave a perfect margin of no paint in each scute. That said, removing it might restore an aesthetic balance but annoy the tortoise. You might try some little amount of removal, and see how the tortoise reacts. It may not seem to mind, or it could really really not like it.

Even as a very small child 3-4 years old when red-eared slider were commonly sold with small kidney bean shaped bowls, the one that had palm trees, I recall never letter my Mom guide me to one of the painted one, they were some little bit more expensive. I don't recall if that was the beginning of my being frugal, or my beginning sense of aesthetics, either way I didn't like it. I can not figure what might compel people to do that.

JeannineD

5 Year Member
My Guess would be that the tortoise was painted some four or five years ago, or the axxhole who painted it took extra special care to leave a perfect margin of no paint in each scute. That said, removing it might restore an aesthetic balance but annoy the tortoise. You might try some little amount of removal, and see how the tortoise reacts. It may not seem to mind, or it could really really not like it.

Even as a very small child 3-4 years old when red-eared slider were commonly sold with small kidney bean shaped bowls, the one that had palm trees, I recall never letter my Mom guide me to one of the painted one, they were some little bit more expensive. I don't recall if that was the beginning of my being frugal, or my beginning sense of aesthetics, either way I didn't like it. I can not figure what might compel people to do that.
I'm sure it was aesthetics - painting an Angulate is really gilding the Lilly. I can't fathom it either. You know Angulates, so saying it might not mind is touchingly optimistic. He'll just have to wander around looking garish for a few more years.