Oiling the shell

KTP

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
Hello ,
I recently saw a post online where a lady was oiling her tortoises shells and I didn't even know this was a thing. Can people please advise if this is appropriate and if so what oils should be used please?

Is there any other maintenance and care requirements other than feeding, baths, worming and hibernation that I'm not aware of? They're spur thighed tortoises for reference.

Many thanks

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Yes, there are a million threads about folks applying pure coconut oil to the shells of their torts. Some people do this, most don’t. After a nice warm water soak, you can dab some coconut oil on the scutes, let it soak in. Take a clean cloth & give it a rub off.

Does it help? Who really knows.
Does it hurt? Who really knows.

Ps - don’t use other types of oils…no canola, no “EVOO”, no almond or olive or mineral oil. It does make the shells look clean n shiny.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello. I use a little extra virgin coconut oil now and then. I have a little Russian so what I do is... After a soak, and drying off somewhat my Tortoise, and while my hands are still slightly wet I rub up my hands with a little and then give him a massage with it. Then after a few minutes I fluff him up with his towel. I don't do it often or a lot of oil because he looks too greasy. It does however help his shell. Another thing I think it does is remove dirt and hard water deposits.🤗

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi, I use coconut oil on the upper shell and avoid face and eye area . Re other questions please read the care sheet. Your aiming to have a healthy smooth shell tortoise and this needs controlled env inc heat, light, substrate, regular warm water shallow soaks and good diet.

Care sheet written by experienced breeder on this site......

lynnefay

OREGON
i've done it a couple, three, times with my 3 horsfields. i've noticed, for weeks after an application, that when i soak them they stay dry:/ like waxing a car, (HA! turtle wax)! (sorry, could resist the joke). the water beads up, so, now i am worried their soaks are not able to penetrate... like, when you wash dishes and your fingernails get soft, keratin...is it making the soak less helpful to the tortoise?
that being said, horsfields are scrappy and it does make them look better and loosen dirt etc.
i used virgin coconut oil, and rubbed off the excess, i think i have done ot 3 times in 12 months.
your thoughts?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Every once in a while, I DO apply coconut oil to Artemis's shell... and my opinion is that it keeps the scutes from drying out because my little lady looks fantastic.... but that could all just be because I take good care of my red foot. So it's hard to say.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I accidentally bought a container of the stuff that contains lotion . So the humans are all looking great too. Only use the kind that is pure oils for torts! Save that lotion stuff for myself.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
i've done it a couple, three, times with my 3 horsfields. i've noticed, for weeks after an application, that when i soak them they stay dry:/ like waxing a car, (HA! turtle wax)! (sorry, could resist the joke). the water beads up, so, now i am worried their soaks are not able to penetrate... like, when you wash dishes and your fingernails get soft, keratin...is it making the soak less helpful to the tortoise?
that being said, horsfields are scrappy and it does make them look better and loosen dirt etc.
i used virgin coconut oil, and rubbed off the excess, i think i have done ot 3 times in 12 months.
your thoughts?
Hi during soaks they drink water and it soaks in through the tail. No issue to have water beads on shell. I agree with either other thread #9 oiling helps moisturise scutes. Similar to humans using body lotion but not excessive. Less is best !

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I read many years ago that lotion for humans doesn't really moisturize your skin but it holds moisture in gained from a bath and your own hydration from enough fluids. That's a good thing. And I know for sure it helps with elasticity. The book written by a dermatologist said you could even just use crisco and it would work. Extra virgin coconut oil is my favorite though. So, (just a theory on my part) the same concept is probably true for tortoises. It's not really for moisturizing. It's for allowing the moisture gained to have more time before it evaporates. Also it cleans off hard water deposits and dirt with a little buffing with a soft cloth.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I find coconut oil is better for highlighting new shell growth than if they are just wet. I do it every few months to keep track of their progress, rubbing it in with an old sponge as they eat, but as they like to walk around in the rain they are back to their normal dull selves in a few days.