ok to take my guy outside today 40*f and very sunny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
Its a really nice day and sonne hasnt been outside in some time. would it be ok to take him out on a bright sunny day if its only 40*F out? even for like 20min of good sun? i wana take him out but dont wana get him to cold or sick??? i think some fresh air would be good for him?? but not sure if its really just to cold???? HELP :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The thermometer may read "40" but in the sun in a sheltered area your tortoise's shell my read as high as 75 or 80, maybe even higher. By all means let him go outside in the sun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't take a leopard out with 40 degree temps. What's the temp on the ground where you want to put him?

EKLC

5 Year Member
humans and leopard tortoises have the same natural habitat

if you'd be fine out there clothing-free, then the tortoise would be ok

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
i dont have a temp gun but my kids and i were all out in t-shirts today and fine so i felt it was ok, i kept him out for a lil bit like 20 mins on the warmest side of the appartment. i checked him like every 5 min to see if he felt warm still and he did. he was loving it, cruiser all over checking things out. there isnt much grass anymore but,the sun was good for him

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
EKLC said:

?? We as humans are warm blooded:) tortoises are reptiles cold blooded:D they did the sun to warm up:tort: I do not take mine out with any thing below 70 I also would not take them out at 40 not worth getting them sick

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So here we have another difference of opinion. Read Dean's thread about his sunning sulcatas. It was 56 degrees by the thermometer and yet when he did the point-and-shoot temperature measurement on each tortoises' carapace, they were all showing temps over 90 degrees:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-ENJOYING-THE-SUN#axzz1gGM19rSh

In my opinion, if there is no wind or breeze, and you have a sheltered area for the tortoise, and its sunny, put him outside.

EKLC

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
EKLC said:

?? We as humans are warm blooded:) tortoises are reptiles cold blooded:D they did the sun to warm up:tort: I do not take mine out with any thing below 70 I also would not take them out at 40 not worth getting them sick

But we're still a tropical species and wouldn't be comfortable in the cold if the sun wasn't out enough for a tortoise

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
it was very sunny out and he did feel warm the whole time so i think he was ok. i was warm enuf in just a t shirt as well as my kids.. no wind or breeze and i had a plastic snow sled propped up on the side of the building if he needed shade but was really just enjoying being outside and cruising LOL it feels alot warmer than 40 out is the only reason i felt it was ok... yesterday it was 50 and chilly but today sunny n warm but only read 40? i duno its not a temp i would let him live outside in but a 20 min sun time is fine i do believe......

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree, if it sunny and no wind they will be fine. It was 45 out today and when I checked on the outside torts they we all out walking around...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
If you get a point and shoot thermometer you will easily be able to know the ground temp and that will let you know if it is safe or not. If it is 65 and overcast I notice my ground temp's can be in the 50's or if it is 60 and sunny I can find spot's in the direct sunlight that are measuring in the 80's. Home Depot has good point & shoot thermometer's for $26.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
CtTortoiseMom said:
If you get a point and shoot thermometer you will easily be able to know the ground temp and that will let you know if it is safe or not. If it is 65 and overcast I notice my ground temp's can be in the 50's or if it is 60 and sunny I can find spot's in the direct sunlight that are measuring in the 80's. Home Depot has good point & shoot thermometer's for $26.

I always assumed they cost more so I have been putting off looking into getting one... Looks like i am going to go to the home depot!

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Melly-n-shorty said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

I always assumed they cost more so I have been putting off looking into getting one... Looks like i am going to go to the home depot!

i wish we had one here (home depot) i live in south dakota.... in a small town LOL the closest Home Depot/ petstore/ anything COOL is 4 hours away... i have to order most things i need online... so i end up waiting till i save up a bit of $$ so i can order a few things with only one shipping charge... so im hoping in the spring (taxe return :D) im gna stock up for the year with some things.. lights, CHE,.. thermometers and hydrometers, seeds, substrate... all that fun jazz!!!

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Where are you in South Dakota? I grew up in Elk Point and my wife in Wessington Springs.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Spent alot of time there in my younger days, when I was a drill rig operator and land surveyor...used to think it was so funny that we could drink until 2 in the morning in Pierre and then head over to Ft. Pierre and drink for another hour. (for the TFO members, Pierre, SD is split into two cities...Pierre and Ft. Pierre...Pierre is in the Central Time Zone and Ft. Pierre is in the Mountain Time Zone) it's great when you are young!

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
exoticsdr said:
Spent alot of time there in my younger days, when I was a drill rig operator and land surveyor...used to think it was so funny that we could drink until 2 in the morning in Pierre and then head over to Ft. Pierre and drink for another hour. (for the TFO members, Pierre, SD is split into two cities...Pierre and Ft. Pierre...Pierre is in the Central Time Zone and Ft. Pierre is in the Mountain Time Zone) it's great when you are young!

LOL yea its kinda crazy and its only the bars that use the mountian time . i do go out once in a while but not so much anymore with a 2 and 3 year old. glad to see other pple on here that know my area and what i deal with LOL haha j/k its not all that bad... wish it was bigger but eh it is what it is :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Leopards, like all tortoises, can tolerate temperatures in the 50's and 40's quite well, as long as they have access to direct sunlight and it's not breezy.

It seems like we have been colder than normal here in AZ, already a few nights of freezing temperatures with several days in a row of highs in the 50's. So, I've had to get them outside in this weather, and it they seem relatively un-effected by the cooler weather. We had a female digging a nest in the shade when the high was 55.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Neal said:
Leopards, like all tortoises, can tolerate temperatures in the 50's and 40's quite well, as long as they have access to direct sunlight and it's not breezy.

It seems like we have been colder than normal here in AZ, already a few nights of freezing temperatures with several days in a row of highs in the 50's. So, I've had to get them outside in this weather, and it they seem relatively un-effected by the cooler weather. We had a female digging a nest in the shade when the high was 55.

thats weird that its been colder than normal there... its been warmer than normal here lol usually we should have like 2+ feet of snow.... and just the other day my kids were out in bare feet!!! so... the weather is strange these days..... im glad i did take him out it was a perfect day for it. he seemes to really enjoy it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.