omg how do i keep these alive? help

kimbverly

Location (City and/or State)
UT
hello! i recently purchased the testudo seed mix from tortoise supply upon and the seeds have sprouted well.

any tips on how to help the plants grow even further? i really don’t want them to die because i need to be able to have weeds i can feed my baby tortoise during winter.

they have been planted in these small trays, kept in moderate sunlight by a window. i water them when the top gets dry. planted in coconut coir.

i know i planted wayyyy too many, i suppose some will be able to survive and others won’t.
i was wondering if further nutrients should be added to the coconut coir that is non toxic to tortoises. winter is approaching where i live so i won’t be able to keep them outside. thank you for reading this 🙏 IMG_9217.jpegIMG_9218.jpeg

kimbverly

UT
Yes you would need more nutrients for the plants. You can use anything really that is made for ppl food. The plants will put it to use and they tortoises will not have access to the dirt/pot.
sorry i'm a little unsure what you mean by "anything that is made for people food"

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Yes, these should work. However, as they are from "strangely named" chinese brand there can be quality issues. You can look at lights from Spider Farmer, Sansi, AC Infinity too - more expensive but should work as stated and more reliably.

For expedited growth you may prefer grow lights containing blue LEDs in addition to red and white ones.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hello! i recently purchased the testudo seed mix from tortoise supply upon and the seeds have sprouted well.

any tips on how to help the plants grow even further? i really don’t want them to die because i need to be able to have weeds i can feed my baby tortoise during winter.

they have been planted in these small trays, kept in moderate sunlight by a window. i water them when the top gets dry. planted in coconut coir.

i know i planted wayyyy too many, i suppose some will be able to survive and others won’t.
i was wondering if further nutrients should be added to the coconut coir that is non toxic to tortoises. winter is approaching where i live so i won’t be able to keep them outside. thank you for reading this 🙏 View attachment 380313View attachment 380314
The testudo mix does best outside in full sun, so I agree that more light is needed.

Plants won't grow in coco coir. There is no nutrition for them. You need to use regular soil for growing vegetables, but don't let the tortoise have direct access to the soil or any fertilizers.

kimbverly

UT
Yes, these should work. However, as they are from "strangely named" chinese brand there can be quality issues. You can look at lights from Spider Farmer, Sansi, AC Infinity too - more expensive but should work as stated and more reliably.

For expedited growth you may prefer grow lights containing blue LEDs in addition to red and white ones.
ok awesome! thanks for the recommendations i’ll look into those brands

kimbverly

UT
The testudo mix does best outside in full sun, so I agree that more light is needed.

Plants won't grow in coco coir. There is no nutrition for them. You need to use regular soil for growing vegetables, but don't let the tortoise have direct access to the soil or any fertilizers.
someone previously mentioned adding something like miracle grow to add into the coconut coir. would that be ok or should i try to add regular soil

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
someone previously mentioned adding something like miracle grow to add into the coconut coir. would that be ok or should i try to add regular soil
I've never tried that. You could do a side-by-side experiment and let us know.

I've always used soil that is labeled for growing fruits and vegetables, and I usually mix that in with my native soil and home made compost.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hey! I saw on your other post you were worried about getting your hands on enough weeds during winter, I thought I’d recommend this because it’s a good way of getting some more variety in on top of the fresh stuff.
You soak each cube in water(quantities on packet) till soft and add a bit on top of his food😊if you can’t get this particular one I know there’s similar products that I’m sure folks can recommend!
IMG_3049.jpeg

kimbverly

UT
Hey! I saw on your other post you were worried about getting your hands on enough weeds during winter, I thought I’d recommend this because it’s a good way of getting some more variety in on top of the fresh stuff.
You soak each cube in water(quantities on packet) till soft and add a bit on top of his food😊if you can’t get this particular one I know there’s similar products that I’m sure folks can recommend!
View attachment 380402
thank you! i purchased the herbal hay from tortoise supply which i think is pretty similar to this product except it is not in pellet form. do you think it would still be worth it to buy? i have also purchased dried mulberry leaf, dried hibiscus, dried plantain, and dried raspberry leaf.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
thank you! i purchased the herbal hay from tortoise supply which i think is pretty similar to this product except it is not in pellet form. do you think it would still be worth it to buy? i have also purchased dried mulberry leaf, dried hibiscus, dried plantain, and dried raspberry leaf.
I’d have to have a look at the ingredients but sounds like you’ve got a nice little variety there😊perhaps use up what you have, then have a look for some of this? I’ve heard most tortoises really like it, which is good if he’s ever being picky🙂