omg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Isaacfoos3

Wenatchee washington
An acquaintance, Carol ( who never listened to my advice and never took my advice) kept a little sulcata in a 10 gallon aquarium on her kitchen counter. After about a year the little pyramided carapace sunk almost flat due to MBD. I'm wondering if that's what they're trying to accomplish in this picture - trying to pull the sunken carapace back up. (Carol's baby died within a few days after the carapace sunk)
This is extremely saddening i have a 20gallon tall that i got from this lady on Craigslist it came with a exoterra fogger an a few other things...
Not meant for a tortise she kept what she told me was a radiated tortise in it idk how she would even get one to begin with....the people said have the fogger on the cage lid....this poor thing died obvioisly....I've had a petstore ik what to do was even wearing my exoticpets shirt, shes sitting there explaining how it got a double. Lung infection an pneumonia an her only issue was she has a 500$vet bill an no animal now....an im sitting there just holding back my anger an sadness....there was scratches on the bottom of the tank from it trying to escape....I hate people who don't take care of their pets

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Yes it is heartbreaking but all we can do is promote care sheets and advise best practise which hopefully results in change of settings inc substrate, heat, light, diet, hydration. Most do just fine and look after very well, but for the ones that fall through the net we just want the best.

Tortoise Nana

Las Vegas, Nv
I seriously give up...no matter what we do, passing out care sheet helping new keepers and trying to spread when we get this crap...by supposed experienced people...View attachment 348379
Oh my goodness. My heart dropped when I saw this picture. What is wrong with people. This poor baby. This cruelty of some people is just unfathomable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my goodness. My heart dropped when I saw this picture. What is wrong with people. This poor baby. This cruelty of some people is just unfathomable.
What they're trying to do is relieve the pressure on the organs and nerves. The tortoise has a bad case of MBD and the carapace fell. It was putting pressure on the nerves and the tortoise couldn't move his back legs. This device was invented by a vet. It is supposed to lift the sunken carapace back up to relieve the pressure. Evidently this vet used it on a desert tort with the same problem and it worked.

I say more power to them, because my experience with sunken shell is they die. So I applaud their effort to try to save this tortoise.

AmandaF

Congresbury
I seriously give up...no matter what we do, passing out care sheet helping new keepers and trying to spread when we get this crap...by supposed experienced people...View attachment 348379
That is awful, what is the matter with people?
I haven’t been on the site for very long, however you do an amazing job,.
so thank you. Amanda x