omg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
An acquaintance, Carol ( who never listened to my advice and never took my advice) kept a little sulcata in a 10 gallon aquarium on her kitchen counter. After about a year the little pyramided carapace sunk almost flat due to MBD. I'm wondering if that's what they're trying to accomplish in this picture - trying to pull the sunken carapace back up. (Carol's baby died within a few days after the carapace sunk)

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
If I didn't see it, I would not believe someone would do this. This Tortoise must be owned by someone in Dental office. You can not put braces on a Tortoise like you would your teeth.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Where did this picture come from???
Could this be an attempt to keep the tortoise from flipping over on his back??? Why else...??? So cruel.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Where did this picture come from???
Could this be an attempt to keep the tortoise from flipping over on his back??? Why else...??? So cruel.
It's a posting from Parkway Small Animal and Exotic Hospital.

"This is Otis the sulcata tortoise! His new owners brought him in for shell issues-pyramiding, shell too soft, and he was starting to have trouble using his rear legs because his shell has sunken (due to poor care before he was in his new home). Otis is very glad Dr Periat went to ExoticsCon, a conference for exotics vets, where she learned about a new way to help with this problem! Dr. Anna-Marie Ruoff at Colorado Exotic Animal Hospital invented this bracing system. Over time, and with good husbandry, this will help correct the shape of Otis's shell! Continuing education is very important for vets to stay up to date for the best ways to help our patients!"

zolasmum

5 Year Member

"This is Otis the sulcata tortoise! His new owners brought him in for shell issues-pyramiding, shell too soft, and he was starting to have trouble using his rear legs because his shell has sunken (due to poor care before he was in his new home). Otis is very glad Dr Periat went to ExoticsCon, a conference for exotics vets, where she learned about a new way to help with this problem! Dr. Anna-Marie Ruoff at Colorado Exotic Animal Hospital invented this bracing system. Over time, and with good husbandry, this will help correct the shape of Otis's shell! Continuing education is very important for vets to stay up to date for the best ways to help our patients!"
I can see that it might help, over a longish period of time, but how is poor Otis going to manage meanwhile - he would be constantly getting tangled with things, or his movement being blocked by the frame, and he would basically have to be in a very controlled environment all the time, which would be very frustrating and not much fun for the poor boy.
Angie

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I can see that it might help, over a longish period of time, but how is poor Otis going to manage meanwhile - he would be constantly getting tangled with things, or his movement being blocked by the frame, and he would basically have to be in a very controlled environment all the time, which would be very frustrating and not much fun for the poor boy.
Angie
Soooo many questions, indeed. The concept, scientifically speaking, seems sound to me, though I've never seen it performed this way on any chelonian. Like braces for teeth, I imagine this is going to need constantly adjusted. I don't imagine it's too comfortable for the tort. Shame it ever had to come to this to begin with. :(

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I really want to see follow ups to document how well this works. I’m assuming it can only be done on a tortoise that is still growing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really want to see follow ups to document how well this works. I’m assuming it can only be done on a tortoise that is still growing?
I doubt it's going to work. In my experience, the tortoise is going to die quite soon. Also, MBD, and such a bad case of it (the carapace has flattened) is quite painful.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Thanks Tim...I didn't realize I copied the picture and not the explanation....but like I said...these are professional people promoting this...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would have thought that a shell friendly waterproof epoxy could have been used to fasten the metal brace instead of simple surgical tape. That tape will quickly peel off & makes it a bit hard to keep the tortoise well hydrated. But, i guess it’s all an experiment in the works.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Thanks Tim...I didn't realize I copied the picture and not the explanation....but like I said...these are professional people promoting this...

What exactly is your complaint? The vet that first tried it posted a picture showing that it has worked previously.

296068774_10224960531415189_9083717550450279358_n.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth