ONE OF THE BABIES IS PIPPING!!!! ADVICE PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

krb1093

5 Year Member
Do I keep the paper towel over them? Do I need to mist them? Why is it hardly moving? Are they lazy when hatching? Also it started piping under the egg and has blood coming from the hole! Is something wrong with it?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
RE: ONE OF THE BABIES IS PIPING!!!! ADVICE PLEASE

Usually they will take a day or so to completely hatch out. Sometimes can be a little bloody from being a little dry. Should pass if not hope for the best. I usually peel some of the shell back so they can sticj their heads out a little more and they will usually start to really work their way out. May take more than a couple days. You can mist the substrate to bring humidity up a little. Use warm water to mist with. What species?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

tortadise said:
Usually they will take a day or so to completely hatch out. Sometimes can be a little bloody from being a little dry. Should pass if not hope for the best. I usually peel some of the shell back so they can sticj their heads out a little more and they will usually start to really work their way out. May take more than a couple days. You can mist the substrate to bring humidity up a little. Use warm water to mist with. What species?

As I recall, they believe them to be Eastern box.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Ahh its been a while since ive hatched those in the incubator.

So anymore progress on getting out of his egg yet? Did the blood subside?

krb1093

5 Year Member

No! I'm worried. He's still alive but really not moving much at all. Yolk is pretty big with lots of blood vessels. I really didn't think he'd make it through the night and actually thought he passed. he's yolk sac was protruding through the bottom of the egg so maybe he wasn't piping. I read were if you think they may need help you can open the egg carefully. Yes, it is an eastern box. We did open part of the egg

Happy Tortoise

5 Year Member
It always take a couple days to hatch and the blood won't be unnatural. But what species is your tort?

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
When I hatched my EBT's last year it sometimes took up to a week for them to finally crawl out of the egg. They sit, and sleep, and occasionally move around very slightly. I wouldn't be too worried just yet :) Just keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.