Open shell wound caused by dog bite

MrsPhangs

Location (City and/or State)
Tshepiso
Hey can you pls advise what to do or which ointments to use on the wound so that it can start to grow the inner membrane as it is also damaged cos you can see the inside. I clean it and change the dressing every 32 hrs but I'm worried if it will ever be able to close-up and how will the missing shell part be replaced. And I've also noticed that is not eating any thing only drinks water once in a while and not active like before. Is there anything I can do or buy to help cos I can't take it to the vet won't even be able to afford it if I can locate one close by

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Are you able to post some pictures of the wound? How long ago did the wound happen? How are you housing the tortoise while it is injured?

@Yvonne G any advice for situations like this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The tortoise needs antibiotics. There are plenty of germs in a dog's mouth and now those germs are inside your tortoise. Did you flush out the wound?

It's very important to make sure flies don't lay eggs on the spot. Go to the pharmacy and buy an antibiotic ointment from the first aid department and keep the area covered with ointment. But the tortoise really needs antibiotics to help him fight off infection.

MrsPhangs

Tshepiso
The tortoise needs antibiotics. There are plenty of germs in a dog's mouth and now those germs are inside your tortoise. Did you flush out the wound?

It's very important to make sure flies don't lay eggs on the spot. Go to the pharmacy and buy an antibiotic ointment from the first aid department and keep the area covered with ointment. But the tortoise really needs antibiotics to help him fight off infection.
Hey yes I did flush the area with hydrogen peroxide but now I don't know which ointment and antibiotics I should buy any suggestions please.

MrsPhangs

Tshepiso
Are you able to post some pictures of the wound? How long ago did the wound happen? How are you housing the tortoise while it is injured?

@Yvonne G any advice for situations like this?
Hey I'll take some pictures tomorrow , I think it's almost 3 weeks now since the injury I keep it in a warm place in the house and take it outside only once a week for few hours so it can move around a little but I only do that when I'm able to keep an eye on her