Opinions, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Sold my sulcata yesterday (long story, but basically, I was in a auto wreck about a year ago and will never again be able to safely lift over 40-45# and it gets too cold in the winter to leave a sulcata outside...and sulcatas have a way of growing...and growing!), so now have a fairly good sized enclosure (approx. 7' X 4 1/2') for other purposes, and was considering building a wall to divide it into two 3 1/2' X 4' areas...and adding boards in between current boards to make it escape/varmint proof for smaller torts, naturally.

d6965a10-07be-4034-83b4-76e812097e33

My daughter's smaller "tortoisarium" for her Ornate box turtles:

ee73086a-0390-43eb-92c7-3ce1428c52ab

My question is would it be safe to have two different species in this unit, or would they still be too close, and possibly be able to make one another ill?

Obviously, one side would be Hermann's, but I'm considering either my daughter's box turtles or a red-foot in the other area?

Thanks very much in advance for your thoughts/advice!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Well, you asked for opinions - and my opinion is your ornate enclosure needs more plants, logs, rocks ... etc. It looks like a very boring existence for the little guy. My recommendations for different species is a minimum of six feet. Also, box turtles and Hermann's have such different environmental needs - one of them would probably not get what it needs - too moist or too dry. You might be able to get away with it with box turtles and redfoot. Hope that was somewhat helpful for you and not too blunt. :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
kimber_lee_314 said:
Well, you asked for opinions - and my opinion is your ornate enclosure needs more plants, logs, rocks ... etc. It looks like a very boring existence for the little guy. My recommendations for different species is a minimum of six feet. Also, box turtles and Hermann's have such different environmental needs - one of them would probably not get what it needs - too moist or too dry. You might be able to get away with it with box turtles and redfoot. Hope that was somewhat helpful for you and not too blunt. :)

Agree about the ornate's area needing to be completed, which it's in the process of becoming...I'm making a cool little rock maze/tunnel system for them to climb over and through, and we're planting some greenery very soon (hopefully this week), as well as possibly making a little waterfall at the other end to raise the humidity, along w/ the greenery.

It's a work in progress...and thanks for sharing your ideas. :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Terry. I'd pick one species to work with in that pen and leave it big. I'm a fan of lots of space for tortoises of all species. Especially in outdoor pens. Sorry to hear about your wreck, glad you are still able to pursue your tortoise hobby, albeit with a smaller species.

Please post your pics of your box turtle enclosure improvements. I just recently acquired a gulf coast baby and I'm looking all over for ideas to make her a great outdoor enclosure.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I personally would not keep more than one species together. Your boxie area could use a little plants added to it, just MHO. Welcome and enjoy your stay.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Iv asked the same question and from wat ive been told it is best to seperate according to size. Im no sure if that helps. Good Luck!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think that unless two species would live together in the wild, it isn't good to house them together as they have different things that can make one another sick. As long as the two enclosures which are directly next to each other cannot allow the turtles or torts to touch each other, see each other, or dig to the other side (make sure the fence is dug down), I would be fine with it. It is the direct contact between animals and the contact with each others poop that is the problem, not being close and sharing the air. If you notice them constantly trying to get to the other enclosure or acting strangely because they smell the other animals, you may find yourself having to move one of the enclosures to a different part of the yard. I did want to mention that possibility because it can happen, but more often with a territorial male who smells a new intruder. I agree that some work could be done to spice up that current enclosure. Also, if you have the space, I see no reason not to provide a much larger enclosure. Is that water dish usable (can the turtle get in and out of it)? It might be better to sink it down into the ground.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
Hello Terry. I'd pick one species to work with in that pen and leave it big. I'm a fan of lots of space for tortoises of all species. Especially in outdoor pens. Sorry to hear about your wreck, glad you are still able to pursue your tortoise hobby, albeit with a smaller species.

Yeah, I've decided to leave the larger enclosure (top pic) as one unit, as I plan to get Jennifer a mate, eventually...I'll build another, of the same size, when I get a red-foot or two...my wife, after looking at pics, has decided that cherry-heads are just too cute! :cool: (thus, that sneaky plan heads towards fruition ;))

Please post your pics of your box turtle enclosure improvements. I just recently acquired a gulf coast baby and I'm looking all over for ideas to make her a great outdoor enclosure.

Sure will...been talking to my daughter about some ideas, one of which will be the maze/cave (replacing their current wood "hideaway" box)...up until recently, the ornates lived in a 55-gallon tank at my ex-wife's house, so this was just quickly built to allow them a home with real sunlight access.

Also considering building a "topper", a frame w/ chicken wire that'll add 3' to the height, and plant a blackberry bush in there...when I lived in Arkansas as a teenager, I often saw box turtles climbing up in blackberry bushes to get to the fruit.

Still working out if a small waterfall is going to be feasible or not...

dmmj said:
I personally would not keep more than one species together. Your boxie area could use a little plants added to it, just MHO. Welcome and enjoy your stay.

See above. :)

jrcrist4 said:
Iv asked the same question and from wat ive been told it is best to seperate according to size. Im no sure if that helps. Good Luck!

Plan to get a male Testudo hermannii g. as close to 4" as possible and the red-foots will both be of the same size, whenever I get some (wife really wants me to get neophytes so she can have them as terrarium pets for a few years, then move 'em outside when they're 4-5" or larger.

tortoisenerd said:
I think that unless two species would live together in the wild, it isn't good to house them together as they have different things that can make one another sick. As long as the two enclosures which are directly next to each other cannot allow the turtles or torts to touch each other, see each other, or dig to the other side (make sure the fence is dug down), I would be fine with it. It is the direct contact between animals and the contact with each others poop that is the problem, not being close and sharing the air.

Absolutely...was intending to make sure they were completely seperated, but, as noted above, have decided to just build a similar enclosure to Pic #1 for the redfoots, whenever the time is right.

Will likely set the enclosures on each side of our koi pond, so they'll be about 25 feet apart, the redfoot's and box turtles closer to the bamboo "curtain" (higher humidity) and the Hermann's enclosure over by the cactus garden (a more arid part of the 2-acre "backyard").

If you notice them constantly trying to get to the other enclosure or acting strangely because they smell the other animals, you may find yourself having to move one of the enclosures to a different part of the yard. I did want to mention that possibility because it can happen, but more often with a territorial male who smells a new intruder. I agree that some work could be done to spice up that current enclosure. Also, if you have the space, I see no reason not to provide a much larger enclosure. Is that water dish usable (can the turtle get in and out of it)? It might be better to sink it down into the ground.

Yes, both Ornates climb into the water pan pretty often...it's only about 1" deep.

Thanks to all for sharing your ideas/opinions/etc. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.