Opinions wanted - is this pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
Hi people, this is my first post as I'm looking at getting a hermanns but have a friend with one already. Is this Hermanns (named jimmy) showing signs of pyramiding that I've read of in books or is it this just his natural shape. He's very happy and fed on brussels dandelions lettuce and occasionaly on re-hydrated tortoise foods. Opinions Much appreciated. - J
jimmy.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

I am pretty new to this species, but I would say yes, this is pyramiding. They are normally high domed how the scutes are stacked is pyramiding, but what a beautiful tort anyhow...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have to agree looks like it to me.

S

stells

He is still domed though which is a good thing... better than him being flat... He is a tad bumpy... and in my opinion his diet with be contributing with that... Brussels are a brassica and high in oxalic acid which inhibits the uptake of calcium... Dandelion also contain moderate amounts of oxalic acid... the lettuce... well all mine have lettuce in with their weed diet but it does depend on what type you are feeding as to the nutritional value of it... and the formulated diet... i am not dead against this but have never tried it on any of my Testudo's... more out of fear than anything... but i have been told that Hermanns aren't very forgiving when fed these.

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the opinions guys, I'm glad it isn't too bad as Maggie and Stells say. Is there any way to reverse this or allow it to subside to new growth? Also does it have any health implications associated with it? What should I get my mate to feed him to reverse/reduce it.
Sorry for all the questions, I like the little guy so want him to be happy.
Thanks so much.

M

Maggie Cummings

You can't reverse it, but with sun and the correct diet the new growth will be alright, so as he grows the pyramiding will look less. He should be fed dark leafy greens and weeds...this is copied;

Tortoises need a diet which is high in dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals, but low in fat and proteins and feed mainly on green leaves. Dandelion, Trefoils, Honeysuckle, Cat's ears, Vetches, Sow thistle, Hawk bits, Hawkweed, Plantains, clover (Red & White), Pansies, Rose Leaves and petals, Hibiscus, Mallows, Grape vine leaves, Agave plant, Mulberry leaves, Bindweeds, Opuntia cacti pads and fruit, Roman or red leaf lettuce, Watercress, Endive, Escarole and Chicory. Beware of weed killers and slug pellets. In the wild, tortoises are opportunistic feeders and they will on occasion tackle carrion and dung. Their digestive systems are, however, geared towards the digestion of leaves, including cellulose, so a wide variety of greens must be offered and the diet should be as varied as possible with leaves

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
You can't reverse it, but with sun and the correct diet the new growth will be alright, so as he grows the pyramiding will look less. He should be fed dark leafy greens and weeds...this is copied;

Tortoises need a diet which is high in dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals, but low in fat and proteins and feed mainly on green leaves. Dandelion, Trefoils, Honeysuckle, Cat's ears, Vetches, Sow thistle, Hawk bits, Hawkweed, Plantains, clover (Red & White), Pansies, Rose Leaves and petals, Hibiscus, Mallows, Grape vine leaves, Agave plant, Mulberry leaves, Bindweeds, Opuntia cacti pads and fruit, Roman or red leaf lettuce, Watercress, Endive, Escarole and Chicory. Beware of weed killers and slug pellets. In the wild, tortoises are opportunistic feeders and they will on occasion tackle carrion and dung. Their digestive systems are, however, geared towards the digestion of leaves, including cellulose, so a wide variety of greens must be offered and the diet should be as varied as possible with leaves

Thanks Maggie, your a legend I'll get on it. I've got another question, can this pyramiding be fatal? Or does it just cause shell disfigurement. One final thing is his jaw looks from one side as if it is on wonky, but when he opens his mouth it shows the other side is fine so it looks like his jaw is just a bit overlapped on one side. Could this extra growth be caused by the same dietary errors? Or is this completely different, also is it common?

Sorry for all the thousands of questions I'll explain why: This tortoise belongs to a friend who is emigrating. I have always said I'll look after him when they decide to go so I thought I'd look into his health before I take him on as a pet. Slight twist is that I've decided I'm going to get a hermanns hatchling first and grow her up before I get the male off my friend so I definately wanted to be sure of the health of the male before I mixed them, even though it is likely to be a few years into the future.
Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.