Opinions wanted on which tortoise/turtle species to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charis

5 Year Member
Hopefully this is in the right place. I'm thinking of getting a turtle and am in the research phase. It will be quite awhile before I can get one but I want to be well prepared beforehand.

I'd like opinions on which species of turtle or tortoise you all would recommend for a newbie and why. Here is what I'm looking for. A land turtle, small, no larger than 8" to maybe 10" adult size. Will more than likely be housed inside to start with but eventually an outdoor enclosure is a good possibility. At the moment I've been looking at Eastern Boxies and Three toed. Have also looked into Russian and Hermann's tortoises a bit. Comments on any of those? Or any other species you recommend?

Is a certain gender "better" than the other? Is a hatchling a great deal harder to care for than an adult? I'd want one CBB but seems like there are more hatchling or juvies than CBB adults. Also, the winters get very cold here. Rarely as low as 30 below and more commonly 10 below. Outside winters are probably not doable? So I think whichever species I get would have to come indoors for the winter months? Thanks for any replies!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have both 3 toed's and russians if I had to choose between one, I would probably choose the russian, they are great little tortoises, I like the boxies also, but this is if I had to choose one. Regarding gender the only main difference I can really think of is that males will often "flash" you their male parts.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a sulcata..I think they are the most adorable babies:p I vote for them.

Charis

5 Year Member
LOL! Yeah, I've seen a bunch of hatchling sulcuta and they are adorable! Until they are about 5 years old, anyway. Then that is a lot more tortoise then I would want to deal with!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I have a redfoot not a small species not a big species i love there colouration and they have great personalitys!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Charis said:
Hopefully this is in the right place. I'm thinking of getting a turtle and am in the research phase. It will be quite awhile before I can get one but I want to be well prepared beforehand.

I'd like opinions on which species of turtle or tortoise you all would recommend for a newbie and why. Here is what I'm looking for. A land turtle, small, no larger than 8" to maybe 10" adult size. Will more than likely be housed inside to start with but eventually an outdoor enclosure is a good possibility. At the moment I've been looking at Eastern Boxies and Three toed. Have also looked into Russian and Hermann's tortoises a bit. Comments on any of those? Or any other species you recommend?

Is a certain gender "better" than the other? Is a hatchling a great deal harder to care for than an adult? I'd want one CBB but seems like there are more hatchling or juvies than CBB adults. Also, the winters get very cold here. Rarely as low as 30 below and more commonly 10 below. Outside winters are probably not doable? So I think whichever species I get would have to come indoors for the winter months? Thanks for any replies!

I'd suggest, in this order:

(1) Eastern Hermann's Tortoise

(2) 3-toed or Eastern box turtle

(3) Russian tortoise

All 4 are fairly easy to keep, so long as you start out w/ healthy stock...I'd go w/ at least yearlings, as baby's can be a bit delicate and some babies, no matter what you do, just don't live long...for a first tortoise, why not improve your odds of success and wait to take on the babies after you've had a few year's experience? DEFINITELY CBB...watch our classifieds, and you'll likely find yourself a new buddy soon.

Some suggest Craigslist, but there you run the risk of getting someone's cast-off pet w/ health issues...if you can take an experienced tort-keeper to make sure it's in good health, you might save a little $$$, but if not, it's probably better to deal with a member of this forum or from a trusted/recommended dealer

For a single tortoise, either gender is fine, and a solitary tortoise really doesn't get lonely, as they're essentially solitary creatures in the first place.

As for winter keeping, in the 30-odd years I've had tortoises, I've never hibernated any and never will...there's really no need to...besides, I'd miss 'em. :)

Hope this is of some help. :tort:

Charis said:
LOL! Yeah, I've seen a bunch of hatchling sulcuta and they are adorable! Until they are about 5 years old, anyway. Then that is a lot more tortoise then I would want to deal with!

Excellent point...sulcatas are great, but they're not a good choice for most tort-keepers, simply because of their size...which is why I listed Hermann's torts as my 1st choice...every bit as delightful a personality in a considerably smaller body!

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Charis said:

Three-toe's are great. I got Monica for Christmas when I was in the 4th grade & she has lived everywhere with me ever since. Extremely hardy turtle, takes changing conditions/environments very well...I am still trying to get it right for her. My turtles generally stay outside during the warm months & spend the winter in the house with a modified hibernation. Last winter I had them outside with a small heated area in the enclosure-i live in fl where it doesn't get that cold. This summer is her first clutch of eggs, 2 developing with 2 weeks to go before hatch time! :D good luck!

Attachments

• christpher climbing out.JPG
    christpher climbing out.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 255056_10100218339213500_23929888_48081015_4457939_n.jpg
    255056_10100218339213500_23929888_48081015_4457939_n.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 33
  • skippy monica 2010.jpg
    skippy monica 2010.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 31

Charis

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies! Please keep them coming! Now I'm actually a bit more confused. I like the looks of the Boxies, especially the Easterns best but the care requirements for the torts seem a bit easier. I haven't seen a Hermann's in person before but I know that the local Petco has a few Russians, will probably go in sometime and see if they'll let me hold them. The only species I have more than very limited experience with is a Boxie, fairly sure he was an Eastern. Had him for about a year, when I was 8 years old, years ago and he didn't thrive, so we gave him up. He had a great personality though. This was when info came primarily from pet stores and having looked into them a bit now, we actually had a pretty decent setup, from what I remember, but there were a number of small unrecommended things we were doing. Makes me worry a bit about being able to properly care for one now.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My vote would go to the Russian first as they are the hardiest over all in my opinion and easier to find.

Next I would say the Hermanns. If you live within the Eastern's natural range, I would vote for it next, or the three toed if you live within it's range. Why? because they do best I believe within their own ranges. However with box turtles be sure to check on your local laws.

I would go with an adult myself or atleast a teenager as they are a bit hardier. You might want to consider getting an animal from a rescue.

Whichever type you end up with, remember we will be here every step of the way helping you to be sure your giving your new turtle or tortoise the best life has to offer. :)

Charis

5 Year Member
All unbred female turtles and torts can and do lay eggs, right? I'm thinking I might try going with one male to start off with, if there isn't any real differences in temperament between genders. I'm not sure I want to mess with all of the possible complications from laying eggs.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No not all female tortoises lay eggs.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Charis said:
All unbred female turtles and torts can and do lay eggs, right? I'm thinking I might try going with one male to start off with, if there isn't any real differences in temperament between genders. I'm not sure I want to mess with all of the possible complications from laying eggs.

When I kept a solitary Hermann's (19 years), she never laid an egg, but having a male for a pet is fine, too...and can cost less, sometimes quite a bit less, depending on various circumstances (I saw male Hermann's going for as little as $75 late last fall, while a female, if you could find one around then, went for $150 to $250).

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
Three toed are great and greek tortoises stay small even though their not on your list.
I think all of them have great personalities!
-:tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
There is really no major gender differences, when you just have one tortoise or turtle. Yes some females, even if kept alone, may end up having egg issues. Males of course, also have their sexual problems. They can get penile prolapses.

Charis

5 Year Member
Lots to think about! Probably for now then, I won't get too set on a gender, it will depend a great deal on what I can find available, I'm sure. Thanks again for the replies!

Charis

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
My vote would go to the Russian first as they are the hardiest over all in my opinion and easier to find.

Next I would say the Hermanns. If you live within the Eastern's natural range, I would vote for it next, or the three toed if you live within it's range. Why? because they do best I believe within their own ranges. However with box turtles be sure to check on your local laws.

I would go with an adult myself or atleast a teenager as they are a bit hardier. You might want to consider getting an animal from a rescue.

Whichever type you end up with, remember we will be here every step of the way helping you to be sure your giving your new turtle or tortoise the best life has to offer. :)

As far as laws go, from what I can tell so far, all of those are legal. Possibly not Painted turtles, the only native Idaho turtle. Though sounded like those were maybe possible too, with the right permits. Don't ya just love reading ordinances? I find it very ironic that the laws to govern the whole population is written in such a way that to really understand it, you must spend 4 years in college studying law. At least the information on here isn't so hard to access!:)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Charis said:
Jacqui said:

As far as laws go, from what I can tell so far, all of those are legal. Possibly not Painted turtles, the only native Idaho turtle. Though sounded like those were maybe possible too, with the right permits. Don't ya just love reading ordinances? I find it very ironic that the laws to govern the whole population is written in such a way that to really understand it, you must spend 4 years in college studying law. At least the information on here isn't so hard to access!:)

Ain't that the truth! :p

Charis

5 Year Member
Well I went into the local Petco today and got to handle the Russian torts they had there. They seem pretty nice, personality wise. There were 5 of them and aside from the small enclosure they had them in, I was impressed with the care they seemed to be getting and the knowledge the person helping me had. But I think they were all definitely WC, though healthy looking, they all had nicked, weathered looking shells. Not that I really know what to look for to determine that...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Charis said:
Well I went into the local Petco today and got to handle the Russian torts they had there. They seem pretty nice, personality wise. There were 5 of them and aside from the small enclosure they had them in, I was impressed with the care they seemed to be getting and the knowledge the person helping me had. But I think they were all definitely WC, though healthy looking, they all had nicked, weathered looking shells. Not that I really know what to look for to determine that...

Definitely WC, so allow enough in your budget for a trip to the vet for de-worming/etc.

Charis

5 Year Member
Yeah, I'm pretty set on getting CB, so I'm going to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.