Oral Medication

Tori67

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
My Greek had a plastronomy to get a huge bladder stone removed. It’s been about a month, he was doing great. Active, eating, back to his normal self. He had an appoint about a week ago, and he does have an infection. 3 different bacteria’s that were sent out to a lab to be identified and determine which ones which combat the infection.

One of them is an oral suspension, and it is super bitter… my tortoise LOVES food and spits it out with the medication on it. Is there anything you guys use to mask the taste/smell? Tried cucumber.. didn’t work. I was thinking possibly pumpkin next. Let me know if you guys have any ideas!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hopefully @Yvonne G might know of another trick to give him medicine.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
My Greek had a plastronomy to get a huge bladder stone removed. It’s been about a month, he was doing great. Active, eating, back to his normal self. He had an appoint about a week ago, and he does have an infection. 3 different bacteria’s that were sent out to a lab to be identified and determine which ones which combat the infection.

One of them is an oral suspension, and it is super bitter… my tortoise LOVES food and spits it out with the medication on it. Is there anything you guys use to mask the taste/smell? Tried cucumber.. didn’t work. I was thinking possibly pumpkin next. Let me know if you guys have any ideas!
what is the oral suspension?

OliveW

Branford, FL
How would Mazuri help getting it in him? Just curious for my own future reference, if ever needed. Would you soak it?

I have read that a good percentage of tortoises turn their noses up at LS.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How would Mazuri help getting it in him? Just curious for my own future reference, if ever needed. Would you soak it?

I have read that a good percentage of tortoises turn their noses up at LS.
Good question and sorry I didn't elaborate.
The type 5M21 is very absorbent and gets soft very quickly. Making a Mazuri medicated mush is how I usually administer oral medications.

The type LS is smaller, harder and is not as absorbent.