Our New Addition

TempestRising

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
Hi Guys! New to the forum and a first time Tortoise owner. Just chiming in to share pics of Sunni and Sheldyn! They arrived in Texas on Tuesday from the Turtle Source! So far so good they have been eating and staying hydrated. I have a humid habitat maintaining a 80% and 80 to 85 cool side and 85 to 90 warmer side. Its been cool 50 - 79 in Austin so no outdoors yet! Super excited to share and learn more as we go along! Oh and I did have to cover our enclosure. I actually turned my indoor wicking bed/garden into our tortoise home. We already had Strawberries, Pea Sprouts and Oregano growing inside. We left them in! Sheldyn and Sunni both love trying them all. Screenshot_2017-05-04-09-39-38.png 20170504_092857.jpg 20170502_203038.jpg 20170428_092934_Burst01.jpg 20170428_092909.jpg

HenleyT

Albuquerque, NM
Hello and Welcome from New Mexico....I love the names you have given your torts...they both look very happy

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi there. They look good.
What are you using for a UVB source? Also what ever they don't eat off that plate, reduce tomorrows serving by that amount.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome from Houston. Also the bottoms of there shells are not flexible so it's hard for them to climb up and over the edges of stuff. It's Great that you're using terra cotta saucers for food and water but take it one step farther and recess them into the substrate a bit more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. RF are prone to shell rot so be careful. They need a high humidity but while keeping the top layer of substrate dry.

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
Hi there. They look good.
What are you using for a UVB source? Also what ever they don't eat off that plate, reduce tomorrows serving by that amount.
I figure the ReptiSun will do and once its warmer outside time will be sufficient as well...? Yes thank you I was wondering how to cut back their meals. The extra we have been take down to the creek for the turtle there.

Attachments

• 149399610962237930076.jpg
    149399610962237930076.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
Welcome from Houston. Also the bottoms of there shells are not flexible so it's hard for them to climb up and over the edges of stuff. It's Great that you're using terra cotta saucers for food and water but take it one step farther and recess them into the substrate a bit more.
Thank you! I usually press them in pretty well but I will be sure to get them in a bit more flush. Ill probably need to even it out underneath.

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
Hello and Welcome. RF are prone to shell rot so be careful. They need a high humidity but while keeping the top layer of substrate dry.
I have been super worried about this and of course not having it to cool and wet as not to cause any respitory problems. As this is theit first week I'm like a watch hound lol! I have been asking my husband over and over "feel this is this moist or wet...because it should be kinda dry!" Are there any tips you can give on keeping the humidity up without having the top layer of substrate get to damp?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I figure the ReptiSun will do and once its warmer outside time will be sufficient as well...? Yes thank you I was wondering how to cut back their meals. The extra we have been take down to the creek for the turtle there.
That bulb is a no go, that's a compact fluorescent and the same as the coil bulbs...

RuptiSun is fine but you want the long tube type... like the ones that are 18" long

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Those analog thermometer/hygrometers that you are using are not very accurate. to properly measure enclosure conditions, you need a digital one with a sensor probe.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have been super worried about this and of course not having it to cool and wet as not to cause any respitory problems. As this is theit first week I'm like a watch hound lol! I have been asking my husband over and over "feel this is this moist or wet...because it should be kinda dry!" Are there any tips you can give on keeping the humidity up without having the top layer of substrate get to damp?
When the wetting the substrate. Use warm water and pour it into the corners. It will dampen the underneath substrate while keeping the top dry or fairly dry. You can also dampen the top layer. It then mix it up so some of it remains on top but some of the under layers get brought up. Also spraying the side walls of enclosure will help to spray less on the substrate

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
Those analog thermometer/hygrometers that you are using are not very accurate. to properly measure enclosure conditions, you need a digital one with a sensor probe.
I have those in just as a way to remind myself hey check the temp. Lol I have a digital temp gun

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
When the wetting the substrate. Use warm water and pour it into the corners. It will dampen the underneath substrate while keeping the top dry or fairly dry. You can also dampen the top layer. It then mix it up so some of it remains on top but some of the under layers get brought up. Also spraying the side walls of enclosure will help to spray less on the substrate
Thanks! It stays very humid so I have lots of condensation and "rain" when I go to check on them. I will be sure to keep an eye out on the substrate. If love to avoid any shell rotting.

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
This type of UVB WILL NOT harm eyes and work well for Redfoot because it's also not too bright
I will put that on next weeks list of changes. I had a coupon but I also still have the receipt those lights where on sale but she did say the coupon and sale was good for the long lights. Not sure why I didn't go with that one...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I will put that on next weeks list of changes. I had a coupon but I also still have the receipt those lights where on sale but she did say the coupon and sale was good for the long lights. Not sure why I didn't go with that one...
Pet shops LOVE selling those spiral lights for tortoises. A lot of times they won't take back electronics.