Our new little guy has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
So let me start off by saying we are new to the tortoise world. I spent a few months doing research before making my final decision. We ended up "rescuing" a RT from Petco. I debated the whole pet store vs breeder and in the end I just could not stand to see this little guy sitting in a 20gal tank looking so miserable. They had no special lighting, no hides, just a large bowl filled with shredded carrots and apples with some re-hydrated tortoise food added in. It made me mad.
So yesterday Nubs (as my kids have named him/her) came home with us to live. I gave him a 10 min soak then put him in his new 4x2 table. I expected him to be afraid at first but he explored the entire box right away. Then he went straight to the food. He ate a nice helping of spring mix and kale, then stretched him self out in the basking area for a good nap. I can safely say he looks a lot happier now. I would like all of your opinions on its sex. I will update with pictures. The guy at the store was adamant its a girl who's between 6mos to 1 yrs old... I do not think so. It has a long thin tail that is always tucked to the side. It is also about 4+ inches long. Far too big to be as young as the sales man insisted. One more reason why it needed a new home.
I will update with pictures tomorrow. Please, any words of advise or wisdom are welcome to this newbie tort mom.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Congrats on the new little guy!! Sounds like you made a wise choice. It does sound like you may have a male. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I agree, it sounds male. I also doubt it is that young. Most of their torts are 5-6 years even older. Glad you saved him though and are giving him a good life.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Welcome to the forum!

Petco is notorious for giving misinformation on their Russians. The employees at the one by me are also adamant that their 4" plus Russians are babies under a year old. Its not the employees fault, they're just poorly trained.

Can't wait to see pics of the new little guy! :)

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
littleatella said:
I will update with pictures tomorrow. Please, any words of advise or wisdom are welcome to this newbie tort mom.
So I took these today. He's a boy. The last one is blurry but you can kind of see the long slit near the end of his tail.  He also took a long soak today and pooped for us.  My kids thought that was the coolest thing ever.  

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your new little boy is around 8 or 10 years old...and almost full grown. He might get a tiny bit bigger, but not much.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Nubs is precious, take good care of him.

Attachments

• draft_lens2019117module13571854photo_1232568886noahs_ark_3_levels.jpg
    draft_lens2019117module13571854photo_1232568886noahs_ark_3_levels.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 37

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
You have a handsome little tortoise dude there! :)

By the way, I think your little Russian is of the subspecies Testude horsfieldi kazachstanica, with the flat, round shape of his shell.

I like how you set up the inside of his enclosure, too, btw. With the multiple hides, the rocks, etc. Good job. You may find that in time, you'll want to expand his territory... it's possible to attach two of these tortoise houses together. Sometimes they go on sale at Petsmart...

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Oh you will love him I know I love mine and she was a petsmart rescue!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats othe new tortoise. I'm really glad that you realized you were being misinformed by the pet store. I hope you let them know that they are giving out totally incorrect info, and invite the here to learn more about their chosen profession.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Tom said:
Congrats othe new tortoise. I'm really glad that you realized you were being misinformed by the pet store. I hope you let them know that they are giving out totally incorrect info, and invite the here to learn more about their chosen profession.

HAHA HA Tom, when I went back to the petstore after finding this forum the guy who I dealt with the day I got Eloise was not very happy to hear me tell him that he didn't know a tortoise from a rock!!! but I suppose the petstore this one was from might be more receptive to being told they are tort iliterate!! bahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.