Our New Pet!

Newtonn

image.jpeg Hi,
I'm new here and totally new regarding tortoise. I've always loved turtles and tortoise, so never gave a second thought in "adopting" one when he just walked into our back yard two weeks back.
We didn't want to keep him confined in a closed enclosure as he was living in the open, we left him in our front yard and now that he's still in there roaming around, eating some plants in the yard and seems ok being with us I need to know how to take care of him. I checked in the internet and found info on how to identify the gender,and I belive its male. We named him Newton (from Peep and the big wide world, my children' favourite show when they were very young). I've uploaded his pic. I need as much information I can get regarding caring a tortise. He lets me touch him sometimes snd smells my hand, never tried to bite me, so I believe he's happy with us. Oh, by the way we are living in a suburb in Athens, Greece.
Thanks in advance for all the advice and info. Cheers!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Are you saying that the tortoise is free to come and go from your front yard? Or is he fenced in? He's a very pretty tortoise. I wonder if he's someone's lost pet?

Newtonn

Are you saying that the tortoise is free to come and go from your front yard? Or is he fenced in? He's a very pretty tortoise. I wonder if he's someone's lost pet?
We are living in mountainous area with forest like area (pine forest). It's not rare to see a totoise crossing the road though not common. Our back yard in not fully fenced. I know two other people here who feeds wild tortoises, who went to their home the same way Newtonn came to us. He didn't look like a pet; he had a few ticks on him when he came and we removed them. I had a friend living in the same are who had two tortoises like this quite a few years back and they both left after a couple of years. That's one reason we didn't want to keep Newtonn in confinement. If he's not happy and wishes to leave I guess he can.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland

It's very possibly a wild tortoise, I've seen them just wandering around the Athens area before. They all have lovely shells like this.

I doubt you're breaking any laws by feeding him when he pops in. Enjoy his company whilst you can, he's a beautiful animal.

Newtonn

It's very possibly a wild tortoise, I've seen them just wandering around the Athens area before. They all have lovely shells like this.

I doubt you're breaking any laws by feeding him when he pops in. Enjoy his company whilst you can, he's a beautiful animal.
That's exactly what we too have in mind..