Our new tortoise Dexter

Hollywood gjp

Here's Dexter ! We got him last night . He's 8 mth old and just lovely . We gave him his first bath tonight . He doesn't appear to eat a lot but I'm changing his food every day to give him choice . Plenty of poos .
We're moving him into the living room on a night to protect him from the cold and putting him back in the conservatory during the day .

Attachments

• IMG_3026.JPG
    IMG_3026.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3032.JPG
    IMG_3032.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    923 KB · Views: 32

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @Hollywood gjp and a very warm welcome to the forum. :D

A cute tort. GOD bless.

Kindly note that torts do NOT like change. Moving your tort back and forth may irritate him. :(

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets available. There's a lot of useful info. :)

Any pics of his enclosure? ;)

Where do you live and what's the weather like back there nowadays?

Hollywood gjp

Hi @Hollywood gjp and a very warm welcome to the forum. :D

A cute tort. GOD bless.

Kindly note that torts do NOT like change. Moving your tort back and forth may irritate him. :(

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets available. There's a lot of useful info. :)

Any pics of his enclosure? ;)

Where do you live and what's the weather like back there nowadays?

We're only moving him because it's too cold in the conservatory over night at the moment , he'll stay in there from the spring. I'll attach a pic of his enclosure

Attachments

• IMG_2970.JPG
    IMG_2970.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 25

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
We're only moving him because it's too cold in the conservatory over night at the moment , he'll stay in there from the spring. I'll attach a pic of his enclosure
Oh, sorry. I seem to have misunderstood you. I thought that you meant your are moving him back and forth daily. Are you?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I move mine from inside to outside all the time with zero issues. I've never had one that had to adjust

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I feel SO very lucky to have found this wonderful site!!! Luckier than anyone else.

Anyway, I live in Jamaica in the hills and I can put my torts outside just about every day all year round. They come back in in the evening before 5 p.m. They have absolutely no complaints so far....luckily.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Yes we are but it's literally a few steps from one room straight into the other
You mean you are moving his entire enclosure, not changing his environment? That shouldn't bother him.
Is that a coil uvb bulb? Those aren't good for their eyes. Are you providing any heat inside his enclosure?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Dexter's a darling, lovely tortoise.:)
Congratulations.
But you need to replace the coiled bulb.
Use either a UVB tube plus your basking bulb, or an MVB which provides heat, light and UVB in one.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Dexter is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!! Russians are just so darn cute! ;) That looks like a lovely indoor enclosure!!! I love the sunny/happy background! I would LOVE more pictures for my screensaver!!!!!!!!

Hollywood gjp

Dexter is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!! Russians are just so darn cute! ;) That looks like a lovely indoor enclosure!!! I love the sunny/happy background! I would LOVE more pictures for my screensaver!!!!!!!!

He's just lush ! Tried him on strawberries today and he loves them ! Also changed the sawdust to substrate so he can have a good dig

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He's just lush ! Tried him on strawberries today and he loves them ! Also changed the sawdust to substrate so he can have a good dig
Sawdust is a kind of substrate but it's a bad one for any animal or human being. Other kinds of substrate (the material at the floor of the enclosure) are newspaper, sand, earth, coconut husks/coir, leaves, straw, cypress mulch, sphagnum moss (peat moss), rocks, linoleum, etc. etc. etc. We have to choose a good one that works for the animal and does not present a problem for it or the owners.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Don't feed fruit, it is bad for tortoises, strawberries should be fed as a very rare treat if at all.
Cooc coir, cypress mulch or orchid bark are the better substrates available.