Out & About

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
neat, she is beautiful. We live on 17 acres fields and woods and my husband came across a pair of boxies breeding. We have come across adults and one to two year olds on the farm but this is the first time he/we came across a breeding pair. It is so late in the season we think these eggs will over winter.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow...that's pretty cool! I never was able to hatch any box turtle eggs.....I didn't know what to do at 10-12 years old(last time I had one).

Matilda was out today when we got home from a short trip. I weighed her and she weighed in at 185grams. She weighed 187 in Aug so she has lost two grams. She feels "heavy" and not "empty" so I think she's fine. I don't expect her to gain weight as she uses her onboard energy supplies in a slowed state but I'm happy that she seems to be doing well.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Queen(or King?) of all she surveys!! 68.0F outside, the rain came and went today. I didn't drive to or from work in it! Yay Jeff!

View attachment 350822
outside did good for her....... they color up way better when outside ........... matilda got some traits i think lean "he" ...........
supposed to snow here tomorrow night ....snow mid october , probably got something to do with global warming .....i seen box turtles eating the day before yesterday, bunch of box turtles out today , looked around for any weren't in a leaf pile and put them there .....
DSCF9902_(2).jpg
DSCF9903_(2).jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
outside did good for her....... they color up way better when outside ........... matilda got some traits i think lean "he" ...........
supposed to snow here tomorrow night ....snow mid october , probably got something to do with global warming .....i seen box turtles eating the day before yesterday, bunch of box turtles out today , looked around for any weren't in a leaf pile and put them there .....
DSCF9902_(2).jpg
DSCF9903_(2).jpg
Snow in October in Ohio doesn't surprise me. Last year at this time if Ohio had had rain it would have been snowing. But then it clears out and melts pretty quickly.🤗

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i looked , you are correct , the earliest snowfall by me was october 2nd ........... seems too soon , it's been unusually cold for about a month now ........ i guess ready or not .......

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
i looked , you are correct , the earliest snowfall by me was october 2nd ........... seems too soon , it's been unusually cold for about a month now ........ i guess ready or not .......
Yup 😁👍 and an early cool down in August here too ushering in an early fall. But it was a nice late summer and a nice fall here even though it's early. Hopefully, we won't get one of the bad winters that can go on around here. Or should I hope that?🤔

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I got home around 1:30 this afternoon @53F outside and look who I saw just beginning to dig in....under an apple.

20221019_132728_HDR r1.jpg
When I checked on her at 3:30, there was only a tunnel. LOL

It got to freezing here for the 1st time this Fall. I saw 33 on my weather station and the sensor/transmitter device is on my big deck, under a table on the cross-support 3' from one of the sliders off the kitchen and 10' above the ground so I'm making an educated guess that at Matilda's level, it was freaking cold!

She was borrowing under a pile of worm dirt from my old farm, that's on top of a thick pile of leaves.....I have monster oaks, leaves aren't a problem. I notice that she chose to dig when the dirt/leaves begin instead of "top down" through the leaves in the other end where there is no dirt on top. When I saw the tunnel, I got down and looked.....I could see in about 3-4", no turtle....she's "all up in der"!

Isn't that just the coolest thing? What a beast!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I heard we got snow flurries this morning. I didn't get to see them because I wasn't up yet.💤💤💤as cold as it felt, when I finally stuck my nose out the door, I'm surprised I didn't get to see even one flake. But No not a single one. Even when I went shopping it was nothing but a misty rain.☔

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
She has tons of leaves Mark and I keep adding them as they mat down.

I love the snow but we've never gotten enough for me here in Maryland. Now however, I'm conflicted because while I still want 24", I want my little girl to be okay. This is where faith kicks in......I have faith that Mom-nature's got this just fine without me......LOL She will look out for my little turtle

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
snow is a good insulator ..... not sure how cold and long your winters are , but sub zero and single digit stretches without snow cover freezes the ground deep ...... i often shovel snow on the turtles in preparation for those temps .....