Outdoor enclosure. A first effort...

Fraser

I am new to tortoise keeping. I have tried to do my research, but as you probably all know... It seems to be a minefield of contradictions. I bought 'Naturalistic keeping and breeding of Hermann's tortoises' by Wolfgang Wegehaupt which has proven to be very useful. The following pictures are of my enclosure. It is a bit of a work in progress, please let me know of any suggestions that you may have. I have 2 5yr old Eastern Hermann's. I live in Essex, UK.

1430071968033.jpg 1430071982909.jpg 1430071996216.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Well that looks nice. I see two things that worry me. What are the little white bits in the substrate? And housing them as a pair is just not a good idea. I would separate them or add one or two more females.

Fraser

Thanks for taking a look Tom. The white bits are small stones that once lived in the fishtank (which is now upturned as you can see) rather than throwing the stones out I impulsively chucked them into the tortoise enclosure... Was that a mistake do you think? Regarding housing them together, i have been told this previously, do you think this still applies if they are both females? (I am not certain they are)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would remove the aquarium gravel. It is likely they will eat those.

Testudo species can be very scrappy. Even females. I would not house them as a pair. One or one male with two or more females is what I recommend.

Fraser

Do I need more plants? I am concerned that they will want more cover.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Looks good to me.
Keep the hide nice and humid.
More plants is your choice, but I expect the fence gives enough shade?
If you do want more cover, maybe a higher shrub or tree.
But generally, really impressive.

Fraser

I'd remove the aquarium. There's no telling how hot that could get inside in the sunlight. You could end up cooking something or someone.
Thanks for the suggestion, my understanding was that I should provide a range of temperatures so that they can regulate their temperature. Being in the UK I am concerned mainly about not providing enough warm spots, hence the aquarium. I have one basking lamp (and a tubular heater to protect from frost) in the wooden house. Perhaps this is incorrect?

Fraser

Looks good to me.
Keep the hide nice and humid.
More plants is your choice, but I expect the fence gives enough shade?
If you do want more cover, maybe a higher shrub or tree.
But generally, really impressive.
Thanks for your comments, regarding my wooden hut, it is currently sat on a thick slate, do you think this should be removed so the soil can be directly accessed? ... It is currently very dry in there, the basking lamp drys it out a lot. Perhaps plants in there?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I cooked a hamster once when I put the tank in front of a window. I think you could probably keep it if you covered the top? Monitor the inside temp. You may be surprised how hot it gets in full sun. I worry they will get flipped in there and not be able to get out, or branch falls and blocks entrance, or branch falls and breaks tank! Yes, I'm a worrier....All in all you have done really awesome. the tank and gravel were the only issues i worried about. Ugh, now im obsessing over things that may cause them to flip. Other than each other, of course. post some pics of the bottom part of their plastrons. There are many folks here that can verify females. I couldn't. I don't have redfoots

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I just looked back and I see alot of flipping hazards. Sometimes less is more. I don't know if anyone else would worry about that as much as i

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
As far as the hut goes I would put it directly on the ground. Or put dirt in it. I know some tortoise keepers in cooler climates do build a cold frame or greenhouse type enclosure for the wet cold days. Maybe some other tortoise owners in the UK can offer up some suggestions besides the aquarium. Although I saw one that basically just took one panel out of the aquarium and they said it worked well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I like it! I would leave the little mini-greenhouse and let them go in there whether it's too hot or not. They'll quickly leave if they're too hot, and they have such a nice variety of sight barriers to encounter, there's just a whole lot to keep them busy and entertained. I think your two girls will be ok, but you need to keep an eye on them just to be sure they're both eating and are not being harassed.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
As far as the hut goes I would put it directly on the ground. Or put dirt in it. I know some tortoise keepers in cooler climates do build a cold frame or greenhouse type enclosure for the wet cold days. Maybe some other tortoise owners in the UK can offer up some suggestions besides the aquarium. Although I saw one that basically just took one panel out of the aquarium and they said it worked well.
Ahhh, yeah, that way the heat is still brought in from the sun hitting the glass but the heat isn't trapped getting hotter and hotter.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Beats the heck out of the baby pool I'm going to use! LOL. I don't want anything permanent this summer. Were moving to warmer pastures next year.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks for your comments, regarding my wooden hut, it is currently sat on a thick slate, do you think this should be removed so the soil can be directly accessed? ... It is currently very dry in there, the basking lamp drys it out a lot. Perhaps plants in there?
Yeah, ditch the slate, maybe just let them dig in and keep it moist, but not wet.
Moss, perhaps?

Fraser

Well, I like it! I would leave the little mini-greenhouse and let them go in there whether it's too hot or not. They'll quickly leave if they're too hot, and they have such a nice variety of sight barriers to encounter, there's just a whole lot to keep them busy and entertained. I think your two girls will be ok, but you need to keep an eye on them just to be sure they're both eating and are not being harassed.
Thanks. I'll leave it for now and keep a close eye on them. I'm not entirely sure that they are girls, Perhaps they are too young to be able to tell? They are approximately 5 years old.

Fraser

Photos of the underside of the tail area should enable us to tell if they're girls by this age - maybe!
I have just taken these pics. Slightly blurry I now realise, is it enough to confirm the sex? Thanks

Attachments

• 1430649730738.jpg
    1430649730738.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 1430649766189.jpg
    1430649766189.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 13