Outdoor enclosure addition 18'x21'

Status
Not open for further replies.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston TX
Oudoor eclosure New addition 007.JPGOudoor eclosure New addition 004.JPGOudoor eclosure New addition 003.JPGOudoor eclosure New addition 002.JPGOudoor eclosure New addition 001.JPG

Been busy this fall .
Here are some photos of the new addition to oudoor enclosure ,
Grew from 12x12 to 18x21 .
There are 6 redfoots & 2 burmese brown mountain tortoise living in here during the summer.
I know you are not suppose to mix species but all my tortoises have anual vet visits & the redfoots & burmese has same diets & housing requirements.
Mike D.

Last edited by a moderator:

n3rdchik

5 Year Member
Michigan
Beautiful!!!

~Marka
3.0.0 offspring
2.2 nieces and nephews
1.0.0 leopard tortoise "Rumple"
0.0.1 cherry head redfoot arriving soon

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Looks great! I bet your torts love all the places to hide. What's the big green hide made out of?

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
thatrebecca said:
Looks great! I bet your torts love all the places to hide. What's the big green hide made out of?

Is an igloo dog house my Snauzer refuses to use (thinks she is not a dog)
So i painted it green added cypress mulch & they use it as a hide .
They will stay out here from April to November weather permitting .
Thanks

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I love the space, but I'm concerned about protecting the torts from predators. Raccoons are known climbers and diggers and will destroy a tort if given the chance. Can you put a metal grid roof on the enclosure?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have my red foots out in open enclosures like yours. I also have a chicken coop by my tortoises enclosure and have had no problems due too a trick an old chicken farmer told me . It's gross but works all you have to do is pee around your enclosure. Predators don't like bigger predators. I lost some baby chicks to coons before the pee trick but not after.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
mike taylor said:
I have my red foots out in open enclosures like yours. I also have a chicken coop by my tortoises enclosure and have had no problems due too a trick an old chicken farmer told me . It's gross but works all you have to do is pee around your enclosure. Predators don't like bigger predators. I lost some baby chicks to coons before the pee trick but not after.

Hey Mike
That sounds like a good idea .:D
We have armadillos & squirrels out here but i haven't seen any racoons,
My neighbor has a very large cat that runs free @ night & i think he keeps most predators@ bay .:)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It works some times hanging out in feed stores talking to the old timers pays off.By the way cool name love them old shovel heads to. There aren't any better sounding murder cycles out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.