Outdoor enclosure confusion!

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
We are building an outdoor enclosure for our russian. He should be able to be out permanently for summer, but in addition to his burrow, we were going to add a little house with some insulation and a Che on a thermostat for cooler nights or rainy days.

But now I've gotten to thinking, what if it rains for a few days and he's in there the whole time? Do I need a basking bulb too...or just a window or something for natural light? I'm confused! Any advice on how to set this up would be much appreciated.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I use a heater, oil filled radiator type and a Kane mat in my Russian night box. I set the thermostat down about 70 for now. Planning to lower that to 65ish later in the summer. I did put regular lights for additional day heat on really nasty days. I only turn them on for days that are cloudy and highs in the 60's. They all seem to be doing well.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Do they know what's best for themselves temp wise? Will I Have to secure him in there on cold days or will he poke his nose out, realize it's yucky and go back in?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
That's why I have a cold frame instead of a dark house.

The insulation is not so good, but the tortoises have day light and it warms up a little even on cloudy days (and warms up a lot on sunny days, I have to use an automatic window opener to prevent overheating!).
My torts stay inside or just take a short stroll when it's cold outside, they know it's warmer in the cold frame.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
That's why I have a cold frame instead of a dark house.

The insulation is not so good, but the tortoises have day light and it warms up a little even on cloudy days (and warms up a lot on sunny days, I have to use an automatic window opener to prevent overheating!).
My torts stay inside or just take a short stroll when it's cold outside, they know it's warmer in the cold frame.

Hmmm I like that. Do the torts sleep there at night?
Nothing to say I couldn't put a night heat source in a greenhouse.....thinking out loud.....

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Hmmm I like that. Do the torts sleep there at night?
Nothing to say I couldn't put a night heat source in a greenhouse.....thinking out loud.....
Yes, they sleep in there. But maybe they'll prefer to sleep outside in hot summer nights, I don't know yet. ;)
Of course you can use a heat source, it depends on your climate. I only need electricity in winter to keep the frost out during brumation, the rest of the year the cold frame is warm enough (a few cold rainy days every now and then are not harmful).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, Russian tortoises are pretty cold hardy. They can do quite well in a cooler environment. If you have several gloomy days in a row I'll bet he'll still come out and walk around. 80F is a bit hot for a full grown Russian tortoise. I think your CHE on a thermostat is fine. Just put those vinyl strips over the doorway and allow him to go out even if it's overcast and gloomy.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
I am going to research what I can buy or build that will fit the enclosure, house or frame. @Yvonne G , I've seen those strips in posted photos. Are they home made, or does a product actually exist?
My only worry with the cold frame is that he'll end up basking in there but won't actually be getting the uv....or would he?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I searched Google for "Vinyl Strip Door" then shopped around for the best price. Some of the places have it on a roll and will sell it to you by the foot. A few weeks ago I was in a fabric store and saw that it was sold there too, but a little more flimsy. Actually for smaller tortoises, flimsy is better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I always open the door during the day, so they can choose where to be. For my doors I used a floor runner. The plastic for on top of carpet to protect the carpet. I bought it at Ace.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
My only worry with the cold frame is that he'll end up basking in there but won't actually be getting the uv....or would he?
Here in German speaking countries it's the most common method to have an outside enclosure with a cold frame (or a green house for a group of tortoises), it's recommended in every tortoise book.
Since the cold frame is rather small, there are not many weeds growing in there, so they HAVE to go outside to search for food. If it's really too cold in early spring or late autumn, they can survive a few weeks without UV, no problem at all.

But even in cold weather, when the sun shines my tortoises come outside to bask right in front of the entry for a few minutes, then go back inside to warm up. They know where they can get UV.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
You could also try to make a combination, a house with a big window in the roof and southern wall or something like that.... ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am completely torn between a wood house and a cold frame :(

Offer both. The wooden house would be great for night and cold days when they want cover and concealment, and the cold frame would be good for daytime use when they want to be out, but stay a bit warmer.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Yep, that's the plan. I'm going to start with wood because he'll need it for cool nights/days. Then once everything is built, I'll see where it makes sense to put a cold frame. Maybe we won't need one. Winter has been so long, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of it being hot. All day. Every day.

Question: do you guys think a russian would get any use or "enjoyment" out of this heap of dirt and sod in his enclosure? Perhaps not exactly in its current state, but transformed into some sort of rocky, brushy hill with some cave(s) dug in?
image.jpg