Outdoor Enclosure for Cherry Head Tortoise

KTyne

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chilliwack, BC
Hi everyone! So I'm thinking maybe 2 years in the future right now but I am wanting to be really prepared!

When we move back to BC (home) in a year, and I'm done school in 2 years, I want to build an outdoor enclosure for my Cherry Head.

Where I'm from in British Columbia (Canada) it is a temperate rainforest, and so it literally rains for 80% of the year. I think there is maybe 1 month of the year where it doesn't rain at all, and it's on and off the rest of the time, ha.

The winters usually hover around 0C, coldest it ever gets is MAYbe -10C. With those temps she'd be inside for the winters, but winters are short in BC. :)

So with it raining a crap ton and being super humid and mild temperatures it would be the perfect environment for a Cherry Head for most of the year!

I DO have a few questions though.

What are the coldest temps that these guys should be left outside? I will be locking her in a secure house at night since we have racoons and opposums and coyotes and cougars and bears and birds of prey and basically any other predator you can think of around there, lol. But I want to know when is the point she should be moved in to her winter enclosure indoors.

Second question is, since it DOES rain so much back home (it has been known to rain non-stop for a month straight in the past), I would be worried about it being TOO damp for my tortoise. I have been thinking of ways to have areas of her enclosure with drainage stones and such, as well as her house to have places where she can retreat to to not be sitting in puddles all the time.

And basically, any advice you can give for me to provide the perfect enclosure for my tortoise in an extremely wet place (that can get extremely dry in July/August).

Thanks!!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I've visited friends in Vancouver, once.. it's a beautiful place! They thought I was nuts when I ran in the snow barefoot (I'm a cali girl).

A friend of mine who's kept reds for a while (years) told me that he's had no issues (with adults) in brief stints of 55F (12C). My memory could be a bit foggy, though. I probably wouldn't risk the temps getting that low, especially with how wet it can be. But it did make me feel a bit more confident that 70F isn't such an extremely low temp.

As for the rain.. I'm in the same boat as you waiting about 2 years for a permanent outdoor enclosure. I started planting shrubs, trees, and perennials out there about a year and a half ago allowing it all to mature before enclosing it. Half the site will be under a deck which *should* provide a dry area. The only other idea I can give you is to plant heavily and hope the soil is rich enough to absorb/drain the water quickly. That and heated night boxes for them to retreat to.

Let me know if you find other solutions because I'd love to know, too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't help with the lowest temps they can withstand, however, a cold wet tortoise will get sick. Maybe @N2TORTS can help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They can be wet. But can't remain wet or will get fungal issues. They need warmth and humidity. Not wet. Mine remain outside until it hits below 60 degrees. 55 I'm sure wouldn't kill them. 55 and wet might certainly make them ill. It also rains like Hell here for a good portion of the year and making sure that I don't have tortoises sitting all day long in water and mud becomes a chore! Especially when they LOVE doing it.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
With it being wet I would say maybe don't allow them to be out in the rain below maybe 70F? Or higher? I will definitely have a nice heated house for them to retreat to when needed and for at night.

If I can get a great outdoor enclosure set up I'm sure I'll want to add another one or two Tortoises too, ha.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Constant rain is a red foot wonderland. It's very important to have dry-out areas though. Any red will low a mud-wallow after a long rain, and it's nice to provide them with it, but you also need plenty of dry, high-ground. I live in what was the Everglades not to long ago, so flooding is a huge issue. I build up all enclosures 6-12 inches to avoid constant moisture. I still leave low, mud-wallow areas though. A couple covered hides built up off the ground that constantly stay dry would be good in your situation as well. Coldest temps an adult can handle I would say around 50F. I leave yearlings out til about 65 and they do fine. This is only in dry weather during the winter though. If it was raining and anywhere near those temps I'd bring them in. Do not allow them to be exposed to cold and rainy conditions.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Thank you, that's really helpful! Do you know what would be the coldest you'd allow them to be outside while it's rainy? I'm thinking around 70-75F? Since they need an ambient temp of 80F when it's humid, I'd say not much lower than that is safe while wet?

Turtlepete

South Florida
70 and up is certainly fine. Down to 65 should be tolerable. Depends a lot on the age of the animal though. Make sure you provide dry hides.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Definitely! My girl is 4" at about 1-2 years old (maybe older, as it was a vet guess from the previous owner). Plenty of dry areas will be provided for sure! ^_^